Vets Dive Report 110417

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LLKZ16

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Date: 4/17/11
Dive Location: Vets
Buddy(ies): Angelique and Kyle
Time: 9:58 am
Bottom Time: 40 min
Max Depth: 84 fsw
Vis: 8-12 feet
Wave height: 2-3 Some Big Sets!!
Temp at depth: Pretty much 57F all around
Surface Temp: 65F

It’s been a long dry spell with life being as crazy as it can be sometimes but after deciding to get a new rig and testing it out in the pool, it was time to get back into the ocean.

Today, the plan was to meet up at OML but the cove looked really choppy and nasty. It was pretty windy and the entry did not look too bad but with the chop looking as poor as it did, we decided to drive on over to Vets.

The surface conditions were a lot better at vets but the sets rolling in were pretty decent in size. The entry was uneventful and the plan was (like normal) kick out at the end of the pier and drop and then make our way into the canyon.

When we dropped, and made our way down the canyon, I noticed that the salad bowl was looking pretty sparse. I guess the swell and tide took most of it away. As we made our way down to about 80 feet the vis was around 10 feet unless you were hanging around Angelique. If that was the case then the vis was easily cut in half….lol (inside joke). There was not much out today but both Kyle and Angelique did a great job at finding little critters here and there.

This dive was all about testing my new rig for the first time in the ocean. I decided to pop for the new Olympus E-PL2. I liked the compact nature of the camera and housing and it has the largest sensor in it’s class. I wanted to step up from a regular compact but I also wanted the flexibility of doing macro and normal / wide angle plus hi-def video. This system gave me everything that I was looking for and I am very please with everything.

Just a side note, if you are ever in need of a new camera or need advise, go to Bluewater Photo Bluewater Photo, Video & Underwater Cameras in Santa Monica and talk to Scott Gietler. He is the most knowledgeable person on the planet. Not only do you get a fair market price, you also get experience and service that can not be touched.

When we made our way back in, we tried to time the exit just right but the waves were pretty big and the sand was super mushy. That and the fact that my right knee is shot to hell (need surgery soon) made for a super ugly exit.

Here are some first off shots with my new set up. I still have some work to do with my settings but overall, I am very happy with the results.

110417Angelique.jpg

110417Maculata1Sm.jpg

110417FlabellinaSm.jpg

110417Maculata2Sm.jpg

110417SDDoridSm.jpg

110417RockfishSm.jpg

110417RockfishEye.jpg

110417RaySm.jpg

110417SeaHareEggs.jpg

Nice shots in that vis - I love the sharpness. Do you mind sharing the rest of your E-PL2 setup?

Here you go:

CameraSetUpSmall.jpg

Olympus E PL-2 Camera
Olympus PT-EP03 Housing
Dyron carbon fiber arms
Dyron Macro Lens 67mm
Sea&Sea Ys-110a-strobe
Sola 1200 dive/video light

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom