Very wet drysuit dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chris kippax

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
6FD27E12-2423-49B1-BD9E-378489857450.jpeg
89FEC272-5739-4E9C-A2F3-3D72A43D312A.jpeg
Took my Aqualung fusion bullet out for its first dive of the season. After descending I felt a steady leak around the chest area.
An inspection found a cockroach has eaten a hole in the neck seal! Lesson learnt put a lid on my drysuit tub to keep those pesky roaches out!!!
The Australian cockroach lives in tropical climates and apparently loves silicon.

Know someone who had a chipmunk chew a couple of holes in his drysuit in the off season. He learned to keep it in a plastic tub with the lid on.

View attachment 582128 View attachment 582129 Took my Aqualung fusion bullet out for its first dive of the season. After descending I felt a steady leak around the chest area.
An inspection found a cockroach has eaten a hole in the neck seal! Lesson learnt put a lid on my drysuit tub to keep those pesky roaches out!!!
The Australian cockroach lives in tropical climates and apparently loves silicon.

Chris...

Proper storage aside...you may want to get into the habit of leak testing your suit on a regular basis...close off your seals with plastic cups for the wrists...a small plastic bowl for the neck...make sure it's fully zipped...and fill it with air...

The whole process take only a few minutes...it will either hold air or it won't...water and snoop is optional...as well as checking the suit...this practice also gives you regular opportunity to function test your valves...

When you exhausted the air from your suit on the surface...it should have been obvious that negative pressure wasn't holding...

Easy/Peasy...and no more wet/frigid surprises...

My suit hangs in an non airtight garment bag...I'm sure there are lots of ''proper storage opinions''...but I'm not sure ''folded/sealed'' in a plastic storage tub is a proper storage protocol...I wouldn't store my suit like that...

Here in Ontario...I've seen lots of suit damage caused by mice during the winter months...I'm of the opinion that anything which is stored regardless of what it is...should be stored in a place ''free from vermin...and insect infestation''...

W...

Fair call! I was a bit relaxed as I had never had a leak! Will definitely be testing prior going forward.
Can’t really think of any other method than a tub, Not really sure anyone could design a roach proof garage? Too air tight of a garage and mould would be an issue.

A drop of aquasure will fix it

...............Can’t really think of any other method than a tub, Not really sure anyone could design a roach proof garage? ...............

A tub, and the occasional roach bomb.

I am dreaming of a wet drysuit dive, ten minutes in the sea is all I am asking at the moment.

A tub, and the occasional roach bomb.

Joint gets sprayed once a year, might have to up to 2 times a year. It’s pretty good after it’s been sprayed but as you probably know the east coast has its fair share of roaches. I even see them in the street late at night at times.

I am dreaming of a wet drysuit dive, ten minutes in the sea is all I am asking at the moment.

I've considered sneaking into the neighbour's pool.

Joint gets sprayed once a year, might have to up to 2 times a year. It’s pretty good after it’s been sprayed but as you probably know the east coast has its fair share of roaches. I even see them in the street late at night at times.

Yeah, I was running around with the surface spray last night. The mongrels are far too prevalent, next time we go away I'll set a few bombs off. Never seen them in the street though, sounds like a southern thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom