Very strange thread -- would you dive with me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My guess is, through his entire diving career, Jacques Cousteau was still seeing things he'd never seen before.:D

Good point! I'm sure that's one of the reasons that we all love diving.

I'd be more concerned that you wouldn't want to dive with a n00b like me.

See, THAT's the problem! I want to figure out how to dispel this . . .

In the last week, I've had three different people tell me that they were glad to have finally gotten to dive with me, because previously they were afraid to.

Afraid to? Afraid to dive with ME? Good heavens.

But now I'm beginning to understand why I keep offering to dive with new divers and nobody takes me up on it.

Would YOU dive with me? And if not, why not?

I sure would but I would hope that your expectations of me aren't nearly as high as your expectations of yourself. :D

Honestly, I can understand someone feeling intimidated by you. You've taken a lot of training, you bought the whole DIR thing, which many people associate more with "elitism" than "easy going fun" and you make relatively many comments about how much it bothers you when you make mistakes. In short, you're fairly hard on yourself so I can understand people thinking you'll be hard on them too.

R..

TSandM was the name of our horse breeding operation -- named after our three cats, Tizzle, Squeeter and Mini. Now breeding horses is insane, but I don't think it's a perversion.

Wow, learn something new every day!

I guess there is this fear that were we to dive together, I'd come home to a see a new post titled "LESSON LEARNED: WORST DIVE BUDDY EVER, NEVER AGAIN!! HERE ARE THE SIGNS AND HOW TO AVOID" but I guess that's less about you and more about me :eyebrow:

Thanks, Gombessa; I hadn't considered that my propensity to blog everything might be an issue. I don't think I've ever written anything but happy stuff about dive buddies, though . . .

Looks like I'll finally make my first post with this thread. Yes I would dive with you and since I am both a noob and local you are more or less obligated to dive with me. A night dive at cove 2 sometime?

Thanks, Gombessa; I hadn't considered that my propensity to blog everything might be an issue. I don't think I've ever written anything but happy stuff about dive buddies, though . . .

Ack, my response was entirely meant in jest. I don't think you'd do anything like that, and it wouldn't prevent me from diving with you (my shenanigans and deficiencies are pretty well documented and archived for posterity here).

I do think your meticulous nature and the high standard to which you hold yourself may make you appear somewhat intimidating (it does to me), but I think I'm the type of diver who seeks out talent to help himself improve, and to me having the opportunity to dive with you would be a huge boon!

well being someone that has asked to dive with you

every person is my master so that I may learn from them

I learned that semi quote from All in the Family, I think it is from the Old Testament

It really means that every person has something that can enrich your life and of course you have something that will enrich theirs as well.

Having said that, if you are in the Victoria area I would be happy to show you my backyard whether you are the OP, a poster or a reader of this thread. I do so because the time would enrich my life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom