VERY Shallow Diving Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Watch how much weight you pick up on one dive. Make sure that whatever you put the lead in is easily detachable. If you go put say 30 lbs of lead in a hard to detach bag you might find it hard to "pop to the surface" or to stay there.

I do a lot of habitat restoration in pretty shallow conditions. Deepest being about 25'. Rather than crawling around, I dive head down. That way I don't stir up as much silt and work with my hands in front of my mask.

What kind of habitat restoration do you do?

Do you have any suggestions for what I should watch out for? Obviously, weighting is going to be an issue, as well as exposure for what I anticipate to be a long dive in colder water. The area can have a bit of surge too.

Anything else? Thanks in advance!

jjjjeremy,

You'll probably be diving between the hours of approximately 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. to maximize sunlight penetration, correct? Since you will be so close to the surface, you might be sure to wear a hood to protect the back of your neck and head from sun exposure. (You mention elsewhere in this thread that you will be wearing gloves. So, the backs of your hands will be protected from the sun.)

Oh, and enjoy! A few years ago I participated in the annual cleanup of the spring run at Missouri's Bennett Springs State Park. My very long, shallow dive there remains one of my most enjoyable dives ever!

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

P.S. And I've just noticed that this is Scubaboard post number 500 for me! I never thought, when I joined SP in 2006, that I'd ever have this many posts here! Hopefully some of these posts have been useful to others. Hopefully I have not repeated myself too often with any advice I offered!

Last edited:
I would use a weighted container on a down line with a float on the surface. I would then use a line off the weight on the bottom to run a circular search pattern expanding out from the center as needed. When you have picked more sinkers then you want to carry just go back along your search line and place them in the container. This way you can leave you weights the way that already works for you and pull up the extra weight from the surface.

I've already dove this site on my lungs about ten times, so I have a system down already that I'll modify for SCUBA. I have a few dollar store sand castle pails that each hold around 15 lbs of sinkers. Once one is full, I'll release a float up to the surface, tie it to the pail, and paddle over in my kayak when I get out of the water. I don't expect to be pulling more than 50lbs overall though.

As for sun protection, I'll be in an 8mm suit, so I think I'm "covered" there!

I volunteer at Spring Lake in San Marcos Texas. SL is home to around 7 endangered species and is controlled by USFWS. Essentially, we remove invader plants and expand the prime habitat for the ES'. Fresh water with a sand and mud bottom and constant 72 temp year round due to spring flow. Before we start working, the vis is around 50-70'. During a heavy working dive, vis drops to about 3".

Just to liven things up, there are glass bottom boats parking right on top of you. Most of the time, you have 10+' between you and the props, but there are areas where that is 4'. Between the long dives, cold water, shallow depths and boat props, you do have to keep a close watch on your buoyancy. (one of the park rules is that a diver is not allowed to surface outside of specified areas, it disturbs the view of the lake from the shore)
Diving for Science : Aquarena Center : Texas State University

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom