Very mild tingle in foot, after shallow dive. Cause for concern?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitrox_DiverNY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
on 8/22 did a shallow dive with a max depth of 15ft, average of 12ft using nitrox 32% and using a computer. The dive was well within limits and was about 35min long. I have noticed a slight tingle in my left foot, but it is very mild and I have no other pain, fatigue, or headache. Ive been well hydrated aswell. I have dove 3 days in a row all with similar profiles except for the first dive four days ago with a max depth of 75ft on air. The tingle was only noticed after the 8/22 shallow dive and short dive (35min) on nitrox 32%. I have been running around on very hot concrete for over 5 days by the pool after my son so maybe that could be it? Being new to diving, is having some very mild tingling normal from lifting all the heavy gear? It has been two days since that dive and nothing has gotten worse, or no other symptoms presented. Does anyone else ever experience this? Thank you for the help!

I can't imagine those depths/times could cause any issues from a DCS standpoint, but you can call DAN if you want answers or referrals from qualified people.

I've had a "pins and needles" feeling and cramps in my feet before I learned to keep my foot relaxed in the fin.

im certainly not a doctor, so im not going to tell you what to do...but if it were me, i would keep an eye on it to see if it persists(or worsens) more than a week, and then consult a doctor...

honestly it sounds like it couldve come from anything...a pulled muscle, an allergic reaction, pool chemicals, a pinched nerve, unrelated circulation problems....

as far as DCS is concerned, ive not heard of it effecting people that shallow....but everyone reacts to DCS a little differently.

are you using a new pair of booties or fins?

I can't imagine those depths/times could cause any issues from a DCS standpoint, but you can call DAN if you want answers or referrals from qualified people.

I've had a "pins and needles" feeling and cramps in my feet before I learned to keep my foot relaxed in the fin.
I just called DAN after posting here, and the lady I spoke with said it would be extremely rare. I just wanted to make sure, since I am a noob diver.

im certainly not a doctor, so im not going to tell you what to do...but if it were me, i would keep an eye on it to see if it persists(or worsens) more than a week, and then consult a doctor...

honestly it sounds like it couldve come from anything...a pulled muscle, an allergic reaction, pool chemicals, a pinched nerve, unrelated circulation problems....

as far as DCS is concerned, ive not heard of it effecting people that shallow....but everyone reacts to DCS a little differently.

are you using a new pair of booties or fins?
yes I am using new fins, boots, and a wetsuit I only wore a few times. I have been in the pool a lot I did not think about that. Thanks for the feed back

on 8/22 did a shallow dive with a max depth of 15ft, average of 12ft using nitrox 32% and using a computer. The dive was well within limits and was about 35min long. I have noticed a slight tingle in my left foot, but it is very mild and I have no other pain, fatigue, or headache. Ive been well hydrated aswell. I have dove 3 days in a row all with similar profiles except for the first dive four days ago with a max depth of 75ft on air. The tingle was only noticed after the 8/22 shallow dive and short dive (35min) on nitrox 32%. I have been running around on very hot concrete for over 5 days by the pool after my son so maybe that could be it? Being new to diving, is having some very mild tingling normal from lifting all the heavy gear? It has been two days since that dive and nothing has gotten worse, or no other symptoms presented. Does anyone else ever experience this? Thank you for the help!

Going by the information you've given, I'd concur with DAN. Isolated neurological symptoms after such benign dives are probably not related to DCS. I would monitor it and if it gets worse or you notice any new neurological symptoms in the area, go get examined.

Best regards,
DDM

Going by the information you've given, I'd concur with DAN. Isolated neurological symptoms after such benign dives are probably not related to DCS. I would monitor it and if it gets worse or you notice any new neurological symptoms in the area, go get examined.

Best regards,
DDM
Thank you for the help! it is very much appreciated!

Thank you for the help! it is very much appreciated!

Any time! Hope it gets better for you.

Best regards,
DDM

I had something similar a couple years back. 20-ish foot dive, maybe 2-3 hours searching for meg teeth in open water. Had a soreness/tingling for a day or two after. It likely was what they call "fin foot", where your feet/nerves get a little hammered from the constant kicking. Your feet are possibly getting used to those new fins, or otherwise didn't fit well. Chances of you getting DCS at that profile are slim to none. But I'm not a doctor, sooo...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom