Very cool critter, but no idea what kind

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AbyssalPlains

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

Just got back from a Thanksgiving Dive weekend in San Carlos, Mexico, at the Gulf of California. On a night dive, I saw a creature I could not even place in general terms. Unfortunately I didn't have a camera with me, but I'll try to describe it. Maybe someone out there has seen something similar. Body was worm-like, about a foot or so long and thin, about the thickness of a pencil at most. I could not see its front end, as it was moving into a crevice between the rocks. Body was white, with very distinctive, bright red stripes running around the circumference.While the animal was moving into the crevice, its rear end didn't seem to move, which makes me think it must be able to stretch its body considerably (unlike a snake or eel). No distinctive features such as fins, flaps or the like. Any ideas?

If it's tail was coming up out of the sand, it probably was a worm that lives in the tidal zones ... those things are long, really loooooooong. Although, crawling up out of the sand into rocks isn't something i've heard before.

-----

Mike.

You know, those long, worm-shaped, one-tentacled, white and red octopii.

Yeah, that's probably it.

R

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom