vertigo just below surface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doole

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
In the last year or so, I have experienced mild vertigo when teaching in the pool, specifically when proceeding to the surface at the point when the top of my head is within a foot or so of the surface. The vertigo is mild but certainly noticeable. It vanishes when my head breaks the surface.

I have never noticed this in open water.

What could it mean? TIA chris

I've seen it before when one ear is in warmer water than the other ear [more so when I breach the surface, still have cold water in my hood on one side, on a warm day], but I've never had it actually underwater before. It could be something similar.

doole:
In the last year or so, I have experienced mild vertigo when teaching in the pool, specifically when proceeding to the surface at the point when the top of my head is within a foot or so of the surface. The vertigo is mild but certainly noticeable. It vanishes when my head breaks the surface.

Only in the pool? Curious.

Is it true vertigo, or dizziness? Vertigo specifically refers to an induced sensation of spinning or rotation.

There are many possible causes of vertigo for divers. From this excellent site:

http://www.scuba-doc.com/vert.htm

>>It can be caused by decompression sickness, hypoxia (low oxygen), hypercarbia (high carbon dioxide), nitrogen narcosis, seasickness, alcoholic hangovers, sensory deprivation, hyperventilation, impure breathing gas, unequal caloric stimulation (as with one ear blocked by wax), and difficulties with middle ear pressure equalization (forcible Valsalva with blowout of the round window and inner ear damage)".

You can immediately exlude many of these causes.

But this:

>>Transient vertigo almost always is due to " alternobaric vertigo " due to unequal middle ear pressures during ascent with resultant unequal vestibular end-organ stimulation. Pressure differences as little as 20 mm Hg can produce this in the chamber. Approximately 15% of all divers have been shown to have experienced this type of vertigo at some time in their diving careers. (Pullen)".

>>This same type of vertigo can be produced by unequal caloric stimulation of the eardrum, as with colder water entering the undermost ear in the prone position. An external ear partially blocked with wax can cause this inequality".

But why in the pool but not in the ocean? I don't know. Maybe you wear a hood in the ocean but not in the pool? That might make a difference.

It would be worthwhile having a medico take a look in your ears.

doole:

I agree it is possible it is alternobaric vertigo, how deep is the pool?

Do you always remember to clear when in the pool? (no offense here, I forget pretty often when shallow or in the pool...)

Jeff Lane

Not sure I get the difference between vertigo and dizziness.

Anyway, pool's about 12 ft. Thanks for the excellent references, I'll check'em out. Think I'll also experiment with the position of my head as I approach the surface - I suspect this unequal presssure theory. That could be it, as I don't equalize very quickly at all, often.

Back
Top Bottom