Vertigo in the dry suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeffberry

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ever since I got my 450 I have been fighting Vertigo. Is there anyway I can prevent this. I belive it's got somthing to do with the hood. anyone else get this?:confused:This happens from about 15 feet on down.

Also are you sure about your neck seal - you are not just having general dizziness from too tight seal or seal/hood combo? It can be way more intense than wetsuit neck.

Right now I am not sure what to think. @ weeks ago I dove it fine quite deep, Now I can hardly hit 20fow an not feel it. I was thinking of taking a paper punch to the hood in the ear area. My LDS say's the neck is proper. This is sure starting to bum me out. The water is less than 40 now so my dry suit would be the best bet.

I don't think that the drysuit is causing vertigo. If your neck seal is to tight that could cause the feeling. You need to take your suit to someone who knows how to properly trim the seals, or you can just do it yourself. A tight neck seal can cause you to pass out if you are not careful. A hood that is not allowing your ear to equalize properly or evenly will also cause this feeling. I would suspect that this has something to do with fluid in your ears. You may have fluid behind the ear drum and not know it. If this is the case it would happen if you are diving wet as well. You may need to see your doctor and get the ears checked.

Ever since I got my 450 I have been fighting Vertigo. ... I belive it's got somthing to do with the hood. anyone else get this?This happens from about 15 feet on down.
Diagnosis from afar is always fraught with difficulty. I agree with the concerns about a possible neck seal source. A really tight neck seal causing carotid compression can produce symptoms. At the same time, if you have a REALLY tight hood the same could occur. It seems hard to imagine a scenario where it would be purely an equalization problem, and you wouldn't be able to address it through aggressive positive pressure. But, I fully agree that having someone local, familiar with dry suits and neck seal fitting, would be an ideal resource.

I also would not put alot of faith in what your lds says as to fit. You determine what is proper. My hood was supposed t be the right size as well. Had issues with feeling constricted. Got a size larger and not only do I feel better but it seems warmer as well. If this is really not the issue then as others have said check the neck seal.

Yup,
You have the final word on fit!
My vote is the neck seal is too tight. Use your hood with a wetsuit. If you feel fine, then you will know its the neck seal on the drysuit.
Like others have said, if you are putting pressure on the carotid artery, you will feel dizzy, and you may very likely, pass out!

Went wet this afternoon no problem except it is way cold. 40 degree's It has got to be the hood or seal. At depth it feels like I am riding a flushing toilet bowl. Somthing has got too give. I have a check up next week so I will ask the doc.

Back
Top Bottom