Vertical vs horizontal viz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slackercruster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
When judging horizontal viz, is it generally equal to the vertical viz?

Seems an easy way to use depth gauge to see when surface disappears to give a clue as to the horizontal viz.

Around here it's not such of a problem, but when I was in Bonaire I did exactly what you described. 102' and I could still see the surface... I don't see why it isn't acceptable?

Around here it's not such of a problem, but when I was in Bonaire I did exactly what you described. 102' and I could still see the surface... I don't see why it isn't acceptable?

I had this conversation with Big Mike at Saba Deep. He seemed to think vertical viz is about 10% to 15% more than horizontal. But my theory is few of us can judge horizontal distances that well, especially when we factor in the magnification in water. So might as well call it close enough if in fact the two are close, albeit still different.

When looking up light is coming directly at you. Horizontally you are seeing reflected light which is not as intense so although water clarity may be the same the ability to see objects at the same distance as you can see the surface is less.

We will often have vertical vis upwards of 60' with a horizontal vis around 15' on the bottom. Of course it will often reverse that with bad vis at the surface and open up at depth. Sometimes they will actually be the same, it all depends.

When looking up light is coming directly at you. Horizontally you are seeing reflected light which is not as intense so although water clarity may be the same the ability to see objects at the same distance as you can see the surface is less.

Exactly.

C :D

Well, diving last week in Ontario we could not see the damn thing vertically , Even as far as 5 feet. Though horizontally it was good 10'

I would say be careful. Sometimes here in Monterey we have a layer of murk just below the surface and once you get below that the visibility opens wide up. But then, I suppose that common sense would dictate that.

I've never thought of using my depth gauge as a way to judge visibility but if it were clear enough to do so I can understand how it would be a good idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom