Question Verifying dive operator and boat captain credentials.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raftingtigger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is there a way in the USA, specifically California, to verify that a boat operator (company) and the boat 'captain/master' is currently certified. I have the boat operator and captain's name and location. I've scoured the web and haven't found a way yet. This has to be public knowledge.

Please don't ask me who I want to look up, it would not be fair to their reputation if all is copasetic.

You can check to see if a DM/Inst is currently certified in most agencies at the agency website. The PADI Pro Chek site calls for you to know the certification number.

I have no idea about a boat captain.

For boat crew like a divemaster, it is important because insurance has to be current. In a terrible case in San Diego, the DM of a boat was not current, and he was at fault for the death of one of the divers. He committed suicide. The operator went out of business.

I have to admit I have always gone on faith that the operator would not employ someone in that role who was not insured, but that was certainly not the case in the San Diego incident. There are indeed people stupid enough to do this, but I assume they are pretty rare.

The Coast Guard issues merchant mariner credentials. You might poke around to see if there is a way to verify with the CG.

Boat captain credentials are referred to as a “master’s license” and it indicates the tonnage of a vessel they are authorized to captain.

Is there a way in the USA, specifically California, to verify that a boat operator (company) and the boat 'captain/master' is currently certified. I have the boat operator and captain's name and location. I've scoured the web and haven't found a way yet. This has to be public knowledge.

Please don't ask me who I want to look up, it would not be fair to their reputation if all is copasetic.
A copy of their license should be posted visibly on the vessel. It will have the reference number, with that you can check validity.

A copy of their license should be posted visibly on the vessel. It will have the reference number, with that you can check validity.
Thanks, but I want to get things checked out BEFORE I commit money (and drive 8 hours). I know there are ways to check out a doctor's license status online, I thought this was the same.

Thanks, but I want to get things checked out BEFORE I commit money (and drive 8 hours). I know there are ways to check out a doctor's license status online, I thought this was the same.
If it is a legitimate concern and they are a legit operation, just call them and ask for a picture of their credentials

I would not have a problem giving the reference number and my last name for someone to verify my license if it made them feel better. The info from the site on Wookie's post just shows if the license and medical is current and valid. As a matter of fact I'd rather give my last name and reference than a picture of my license. The license has other info like home address that I don't want people to have.

Just curious, is this an overabundance of caution or do you have concerns based on something you've read?

Then why are you not calling and asking for the info/proof?

Back
Top Bottom