VEO 180 - altitude compensation ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJMike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking at the manual for the VEO 180Nx (I have two of them).

Page 70 says that altitude compensation begins at 2000'. It also says that above 2000' it will "...automatically recalculate itself to measure depth in feet of fresh water rather than feet of sea water."

Accepted altitude dive training seems to agree that high altitude diving begins at 1000'. Based on the manual, though, it looks like the DC will not compensate between 1000' and 2000'.

Is that correct?

Second question: based on the quote above from Page 70, does that mean that the computer measure depth as though you are diving in salt water, as opposed to fresh water, from 0' to 2000'? At my fresh water 'home lake', the elevation is 318'. Is my depth being measure as though I were in the ocean?

And if that's the case, what exactly does that mean...that when I am at 34', it will display 33'?

While that does not seem overly important, is there any real concern from a safety perspective?

At this point I am not too worried about it, rather I am just trying to "understand my equipment".

Once your computer begins altitude compensation, it will read ALT Lvl2 on your primary screen. On some units this begins at 1800ft. But 2000 ft is the normal range.

yes, until screen reads alt lvl2 it is calculating sea water and sea level at all times. At the altitude of you lake it would be calculating sea level. Regarding depth 34' vs displaying 33' sounds about right but I am trying to track down a more definative answer. Regarding the most import question regarding safety I can only say that as a long term rep with Oceanic/AERIS companies I have had both Colorado and Utah in my territory and have had no issues that I am aware of when both retailers and computers dive at various altitudes during high lake diving. There are a number of high altitude retailers who have continuously used our PDC's in their rental departments in the last 15 years without issue.

Hope this helps a little.

Regards,
Darryl

Very good. Just wanted to confirm my understanding of the manual. I like the computer, otherwise would not have bought a second one!

Now, Oceanlog is a different story....but there are other threads on that.

Thanks and have a good one!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom