Venice Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bruce119

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm looking for some help. I got a few questions.

Alhambra ? Is that Venice Beach the funny looking roof thing over the snack and bath rooms.

Hows the vis been lately does the tide play into it I see most come early.

Do you guys usually walk straight out from the bath rooms over the board walk I think there's a life guard tower there. I been there a few years ago.

How far out do you go I believe 18 ft is the magic number and I can recognize fossil beds.

How about technique do you cover a lot of ground and surface hunt or fan or rake or maybe stay put and dig.

Any help would help I was planning on coming down this Wednesday Aug 2. I would like to get down there before the vis really goes away or the red tide comes.

I'll take any tips I can get
Thanks
Bruce

bruce119:
Alhambra ? Is that Venice Beach the funny looking roof thing over the snack and bath rooms.

No. That's the public beach. Alhambra is about ½ mile south at the dead end of Alhambra. From Venice Ave turn left on Harbor (by the Tennis courts), Alhambra is the 5th street on the right.

bruce119:
Hows the vis been lately does the tide play into it I see most come early.

Jim reported 10 - 12 on Friday, I haven't heard any reports from this past weekend.

bruce119:
Do you guys usually walk straight out from the bath rooms over the board walk I think there's a life guard tower there. I been there a few years ago.

Nope. I usually dive at Alhambra.

bruce119:
How far out do you go I believe 18 ft is the magic number and I can recognize fossil beds.

I look for the fossil beds, I usually find the most fossils in 13 - 16 feet. More megs are usually found out in 20 - 25 feet.

bruce119:
How about technique do you cover a lot of ground and surface hunt or fan or rake or maybe stay put and dig.

Cover ground until you find fossil beds, then creep along. If you think you're moving too slow, slow down.

Visibility Saturday was also 10-12 ft+
Sunday mostly likewise, but a little less.

Winds this week are predicted to be WNW to WSW (but not so strong,) so your mileage may vary.

Thanks for all the info good stuff

Any one got an opion about Service Club Park It seems like an easy spot not as crowed as the public beach. I could leave the wife there with the bath rooms & showers too.

Thanks
Bruce

Service Club Park is a great location if you can get a half mile off shore. Folks find lots of megs there. I've never had much luck there myself.

Walter:
Service Club Park is a great location if you can get a half mile off shore.

That's anouther thing how far out do you have to go.

I'm thinking the public beach this trip mite work maybe it's not that bussy during the week. I have been there before couple years ago found some small teeth. It's got the bath rooms and water for the wife "my beach buddy"

Alhambra sounds like a place I got to check out But It don't sound like a place to take the "Beach Buddy"

I'm not up for a long swim and need a place for the wife to hange out.

Thanks
Bruce

Of course it's your choice, but you'll find more teeth (at least I find lots more) at Alhambra than at the public beach and the swim is about the same distance. The snack bar and restrooms at the public beach are a short walk (only ½ mile) up the beach. If she can't walk that far, she should have the car keys.............

Alhambra is the best place to dive off of for teeth, especially small ones. The megs you've got to be patient and drive out further.

So just drive to the end of Alhambra. Park as close to beach as you can, gear up at the car and walk straight out. I'll take any tips.
How's the parking there?

I guess the wife can hang out on the beach I'm only doing 1 tank.

Then afterwards hit the public beach for the showers to clean up a bit.

I plan on coming Wednesday, I avoid the week ends because I can.

Thanks
Bruce

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom