Venice/Murano Italy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JackSpearo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm living in Padova right now until April 4th...Venice is only 30 min away by train. I went there on Saturday and it was packed with tourists (as was expected)...I have been a few times to Venice, but I have never gone to Murano. Has anyone been? Is it worth the trip over? Is the glass there any cheaper than in Venice?

It's hard finding shops that actually have decent priced quality masks/glass...I did find a few really nice mask shops in Venice though...anyone have any recommendations? any must sees?

thanks

Jack

JackSpearo:
I'm living in Padova right now until April 4th...Venice is only 30 min away by train. I went there on Saturday and it was packed with tourists (as was expected)...I have been a few times to Venice, but I have never gone to Murano. Has anyone been? Is it worth the trip over? Is the glass there any cheaper than in Venice?

It's hard finding shops that actually have decent priced quality masks/glass...I did find a few really nice mask shops in Venice though...anyone have any recommendations? any must sees?

I took an afternoon to go over to Murano several years back - I saved my browsing for glass for Murano, so I'm not sure if the glass is any cheaper there than in Venice. The things I did see that interested me were quite expensive. I don't think taking the time to go to Murano will get you a bargain, but you may find a wider range of glass offered.

Murano was interesting, but given the compressed time frame that most visitors have in Venice, I didn't think it a must see. I believe there are some glass workshops that you can take tours of. I had wanted to also take a trip to Burano, but didn't have time. However, since you're only 30 minutes away by train and you've already visited Venice several times, I would go.

We went a few years back. I enjoyed it. A little touristy, but I learned some good historical information, and saw some glass blowing going on. The artistry in the making of a small horse from blown glass was amazing!

BTW, I ordered some glass from one if the shops there, and had it shipped back to the states. Quite a few months later, I was dropped one of the pieces, and it shattered. I found the email address of the shop, emailed them a picture of the remaining pieces (part of a sake set), and asked about the cost of replacing the broken piece. I was sent a replacement, FREE OF CHARGE! No questions asked. Talk about great customer service!

Gary

wow, that's awesome...

I'm going on Thursday again!!! I can't wait...the weather has been bad today (was going today) so me and my girlfriend decided on Thursday...

I'll post some pics of some masks/glass if I buy any...I'd really like to go to Burano...But I'll probably just go to Murano and Venice...

thanks!

Jack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom