Venice FL Fossils---Peace River???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharkdiver289

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I dove in the Cooper River, SC over the summer and was very successful. According to a few books and a few websites, I heard that Venice had some nice teeth. I heard about the dredging recently and that it may upset teet. Has anyone else heard this. We've already booked our trip and we are hoping to have a good time just beach combing and shore diving. Are there any boats to go on? Any pointers to find teeth down there, I'd imagine it is a lot different from river diving. Also would it be worth it to take a day trip to the peace river or any other suggestions for other river points? One last thing, next year we're going to the keys...any fossil diving out there?

We are still finding teeth. Florida SCUBA West has charters, I've always dived from the beach, but I've heard nothing but good reports on the charter.

Going to the Peace River will depend on your goal. If your goal is merely to find fossils, it's worth a trip. It's also worth a trip to dry quarries (assuming you have the permission of the quarry owner. If your goal is to find fossils while diving, I'd skip the Peace River.

If you want to find anything but shark teeth, you'll need to apply for a license. If you stay in the Gulf of Mexico, you DO NOT need the license. If you do decide to go to the Peace River, there are areas where fossil hunting is prohibited. A good resource with a link to the license application is www.tampabayfossilclub.com.

sushidiver289:
I heard about the dredging recently and that it may upset teet. Has anyone else heard this. We've already booked our trip and we are hoping to have a good time just beach combing and shore diving. Are there any boats to go on? Any pointers to find teeth down there, I'd imagine it is a lot different from river diving.

Yeah, the teeth are pretty upset about it, they kept snapping at me last time I was down there :D

Sorry, couldn't resist. Seriously though, there are plenty of teeth off the beach and it makes a great family day trip since the non-divers can hang out on the beach while you dive. If you wanted to take a charter I've heard good things about FL West, that is also where I get fills and rent tanks when I'm down there. I've never been river diving other than floating down the Santa Fe at Ginnie Springs so I'm not sure how much different it is but I've heard that the Cooper River is pretty much blackwater diving. Venice is more brownwater with viz usually in the 3-6' range but sometimes less and occasionally as much as 10-15+ (those days seem pretty rare). The best way to do it is to get a little 3-pronged garden pick from Big Lots or Wal-Mart, swim out till you start seeing some patches of dark grey/black sand. When you find that just start brushing/fanning away the muck and you should start finding teeth. Good luck!

mid to lower 70s

Hi Im new to the US, but based in Miami. Im looking for some good shark teeth diving in NC/SC and heard about cooper river. Does anyone know of any cheap charters that go around there, or any good spots to go in from the shore? Also any places that hire gear out for cheap?

Cheers,

Brett

I dove Venice, FL a couple of weeks ago. There are alot of shark teeth to find. Most of the teeth I found were in the 1 inch size but you can get lucky. You don't need to charter a boat. Go to the pier on Venice Beach. Dive right off the beach. You only need to go out about 100 yards to find the good teeth. make your way out the whole time under water. You might get lucky. The tides bring all the teeth close to the beach. If you go out on a boat, you probably will be dissapointed. Water temp. is perfect. Usually their is minimal waves. Their is a pretty good bar/grill right at the pier "Sharkeys" Try one of the sandwiches, very large portions for a reasonalbe price.

Gotta disagree there. The further out you go, the better luck you will have finding the big megs. I've seen excellent results from Florida Wests' charters, far better than close in, with the exception of 2th diver (who gets excellent results from the beach, but he does go out).

That being said, I haven't chartered yet with Florida West (although it's on my list), and have lots of fun shore diving. I haven't had the best results since the dredging, but I still come back with 50-100 teeth per tank.

Has anyone been to Venice beach since the hurricane? I wonder how much of the sand they have left...

mjenkins52:
If you go out on a boat, you probably will be dissapointed. Water temp. is perfect.

Well i go next week ill let you guys know how i do...to answer the ? about the cooper river... call mark at divethecooper.com he has great rates and runs a dive lodge out of his house, his collection is amazing also...tell him woody sent you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom