velvet or scorpionfish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquashik

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
First, this is my first time attaching a photo...so if your don't see it, then i'm experiencing some technological problems.

anyway i shot these 2 photos in Davao, Philippines and it is the first time that i can recall seeing something like this. this is in sandy, rubble area around 20M. the brown one is around 4 inches long and the black one maybe 3 inches. they were both in opposite sides of a small rock. now i'm wondering if this is in the family of the velvet fish or is this just another scorpionfish? need some serious fish id-yers!

cheers!

Attachments

• velvet.jpg
    velvet.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 90
  • shy.jpg
    shy.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 97
I've looked at this a few times and feel pretty sure the second pic. is a velvet. My guess would be a phantom velvet, Paraploactis kagoshimensis but I emphasize it is a guess. You will never no for sure. Don't have a view about the first one.

I'm not a fish expert, but have seem velvet fish on a couple of occasions. I'd agree with Jim on the second being a velvet..the body shape being what most makes me say so

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom