Vehicle Recovery, Rainy Lake International Falls.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karlbiederman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Interesting.

Can you elaborate on the incident, the delay needed to wait for the ice to thicken, techniques used and problems encountered?

Dave C

Karl

Looks like fun, Nice job.
Has your team looked into using coffin floats to lighten the loading? A 4X4 in the cab and an 8 footer strapped to the bed would have given you 4200 lbs of lift. Sure makes the hoisting easier and allows for less stress of the ice pack.

Hall

Looked like a nice job.
I have seen videos of super B trains being pulled out in CA. They had it easier, the ice was thich enough to just drive the crain out there.

Did you guys use lift bags to float it up? Never tried to calculate how much lift you would need to raise a vehicle.

I'm also suprised that the ice could hold the point load that close to the hole.

Very neat to watch, thanks

The truck sat on the bottom for about 3 weeks before we could retrieve it. We used 3 lift bags on the front, probably could have gotten by with 2. We also used a 2 pulley system to relieve some of the stress on the winch. We typically do about 4 to 5 recoveries a year. This truck was totaled by the insurance company. A truck we pulled out in December was back on the road 2 weeks later.

Just got two things to say.......Great job and glad everyone is safe...& Holy Cow.......

Thank you dmmike. Every recovery is a new adventure, and another story. Every time I get in the water is a learning expierence.

Back
Top Bottom