Vehicle question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our new car has that doodadd too and push button. If you do anything it doesn't like it beeps .. .... .. at you.

Yup... I've tried to explain to my car that I don't understand what it's saying, but apparently it doesn't understand me either. So it beeps at me and I just let it slide.

If the car gets stolen, and the key was left inside, the insurance may not cover.

Spot on. When my previous car was stolen (and later recovered), the first question I was asked for the police report was if I had the keys. It's almost like they have a flowchart: "Owner has keys? Yes -> continue with report; No -> don't bother."

(I did have my keys. And I learned that '98 Civics are incredibly easy to steal using a shaved key.)

WIth my keyless entry / keyless start car, I found it convenient to waterproof the keyfob and bring it with me. My undergarments have a pouch and so do my Fusion drysuit internal suspenders. Most of the time, I never worried about serious waterproofing, other than maybe a Ziploc bag. What was convenient is that I could walk up to the car and unlock it by touching/pulling on the handle. There's no need to have physical access to the keyfob, which would have been a pain when in full gear

Another not well-known option if you have a Subaru is you can program a secret code into the trunk release button and tap it out. Not as nice as the Ford keypad but better than nothing. Then you can wrap the key in a Faraday cage pouch or foil and hide it in the car so you can actually lock the car. Just don't have a "999999" as your keycode or you'll be there a while...

My current vehicle has a transponder key I have to insert and turn in the ignition. You can cut a non-starting key from the master key for cheap at any hardware store; it just won't be able to start the car because it won't have the chip, but will be able to unlock the vehicle. I cut several of these non-starting keys to keep in my gear as backup and stash the master key inside the vehicle. Then you can carry a key with you on your dive or stash it on or near your vehicle (or both).

(Anybody remember those days where cars had 2 keys? One to get in, and one to start?)

I'm contemplating getting into a new truck or SUV. I haven't bought a new vehicle in a long time and something about the new keys has me concerned.

What do you do with the key when you go in the water? Most places I dive are relatively safe, but there have been a few places I don't think I want to leave the key in an accessible location, and given the whole pushbutton start thing I'm at a loss for what to do with the keys so that I don't drown the keys accidentally and I come back to my vehicle being there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I use a realtor style lock box attached to my hitch receiver. I also have non smart keys cut for my jeep that work on the doors. Apex Lock and Key did those for me cheap enough.

I use a realtor style lock box attached to my hitch receiver. I also have non smart keys cut for my jeep that work on the doors. Apex Lock and Key did those for me cheap enough.
That type of box is a good idea (unless someone steals the whole box....). I've asked this before-- What do you do about keeping the alarm from going off when you use your non-tech. "door" key?

That type of box is a good idea (unless someone steals the whole box....). I've asked this before-- What do you do about keeping the alarm from going off when you use your non-tech. "door" key?

Driving a 2014 Subaru Forester and when using the non chipped key I just suck it up and let the alarm howl until I can turn the ignition on and shut off the alarm. It is a PIA, but until I find a better way it will be part of the cost of doing a dive. Be safe

Spot on. When my previous car was stolen (and later recovered), the first question I was asked for the police report was if I had the keys. It's almost like they have a flowchart: "Owner has keys? Yes -> continue with report; No -> don't bother."

(I did have my keys. And I learned that '98 Civics are incredibly easy to steal using a shaved key.)

That’s exactly what it is. My old neighborhood had a rash of vehicles ransacked and items stolen. The individual(s) would go house to house in the middle of the night and check the doors of vehicles parked in the driveways. They’d take whatever they could stick in their bag(s) and go on to the next vehicle. As they never damaged vehicles to take items...the sheriffs department would take a report, but I’m guessing it went right in the trash.

I followed-up on a report and never got a callback. My old Land Cruiser had a very sketchy keyless entry fob. It worked maybe half the time on the first press. I’m guessing that I pressed the button that one night, was in a hurry, and didn’t confirm that it was actually locked.

That’s exactly what it is. My old neighborhood had a rash of vehicles ransacked and items stolen. The individual(s) would go house to house in the middle of the night and check the doors of vehicles parked in the driveways. They’d take whatever they could stick in their bag(s) and go on to the next vehicle. As they never damaged vehicles to take items...the sheriffs department would take a report, but I’m guessing it went right in the trash.

I followed-up on a report and never got a callback. My old Land Cruiser had a very sketchy keyless entry fob. It worked maybe half the time on the first press. I’m guessing that I pressed the button that one night, was in a hurry, and didn’t confirm that it was actually locked.
Interesting. Also about the Hondas. When I met my wife in the '90s, the key to her Plymouth actually opened the door to my '80 Civic and ALMOST turned the car on. But again, it was a pleasure to have a bunch of metal keys that all did everything.

Back
Top Bottom