Vanuatu and New Caledonia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Overall - upper end of the scale price wise.

In 2016 I went to Madagascar, Reunion, Mauritius, Indonesia, Vanuatu, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Czech and Hungary and Vanuatu is one that stuck in my memory as having "spent bucketloads" alongside Reunion, Amsterdam, Austria. While Madagascar was stupidly expensive to get there once there things (other than diving) aren't that expensive - Vanuatu was cheap to get to from Aus but everything - including diving - was expensive. Particularly on Tanna. Everyone I've spoken to with recent experience of New Caledonia mentions the expense - the euro factor. I guess it depends on where you are coming from and what currency you are used to.
Also Vanuatu has very limited accomodation options on Santo and even fewer on Tanna (you can stay at my place!) so it's almost a monopoly situation. Even though I had somewhere booked to climb Yassar, the one driver who picked every tourist up took us all to the same very basic place where I scored a camp bed in a room in a dorm with no door and two lovely Chinese girls as my room...everyone had to pay the same amount no matter if you got a hut, treehouse or dorm bed because hey, it's late, quick we have to start the volcano tour before sunset!
As for the accomodation I'd already paid for - well, him blong long taem...I never did get my refund but hey, that's how life works in Vanuatu.

Overall - upper end of the scale price wise.

In 2016 I went to Madagascar, Reunion, Mauritius, Indonesia, Vanuatu, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Czech and Hungary and Vanuatu is one that stuck in my memory as having "spent bucketloads" alongside Reunion, Amsterdam, Austria. While Madagascar was stupidly expensive to get there once there things (other than diving) aren't that expensive - Vanuatu was cheap to get to from Aus but everything - including diving - was expensive. Particularly on Tanna. Everyone I've spoken to with recent experience of New Caledonia mentions the expense - the euro factor. I guess it depends on where you are coming from and what currency you are used to.
Also Vanuatu has very limited accomodation options on Santo and even fewer on Tanna (you can stay at my place!) so it's almost a monopoly situation. Even though I had somewhere booked to climb Yassar, the one driver who picked every tourist up took us all to the same very basic place where I scored a camp bed in a room in a dorm with no door and two lovely Chinese girls as my room...everyone had to pay the same amount no matter if you got a hut, treehouse or dorm bed because hey, it's late, quick we have to start the volcano tour before sunset!
As for the accomodation I'd already paid for - well, him blong long taem...I never did get my refund but hey, that's how life works in Vanuatu.
Got it! Tks for the 411 buddy! I know I can always count on you for detailed information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom