Vancouver Area Dive Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J-Vo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm going to be in Vancouver and would like to dive August 14th-17th.

Anyone want to show me around or have any recommendations for technical dive ops/guides? I prefer shore diving, but boats arn't off the table.

Thanks in advance,

If you are willing to travel for a day then there is some very good diving near Nanaimo and in the Schelt inlet. If you just want to go deep then Whytecliff park is handy but not overly interesting unless the seals come to play.

I can't help you with ops/guides. I've been gone too long.

R..

Ocean Quest dive shop is a very good shop in Vancouver. They do a lot of tech training and would be my first choice in Vancouver. However Diver0001 is right there is not much in Vancouver except Whytecliff park as a shore dive. Would check with Ocean Quest and see if they are doing anything during that timeframe. Naniamo, Sechelt or a bit further afield or a boat dive will get you to more interesting diving. Vancouver is on a very large river delta to you need to get out of that to go deeper (or find much interesting for that matter).

Kelvins Grove and Tuwanek are semi-local too. (one far more than the other).

If you change your mind and can get on a boat you can head out to the Annapolis and Halkett Wall with New World Diving or Sea Dragon Charters.

Whytecliff will be your best Vancouver shore option. Best local diving is off Vancouver Island though (Barclay Sound, Port Hardy...)

Interesting is in the eye of the beholder. I did a couple of dives in Wycliff and then up the shore at another dive park for four dives over two days. I had not dove the NW before and found all the starfish and related sea life quite interesting including a couple of lions mane that drifted by.

Interesting is in the eye of the beholder. I did a couple of dives in Wycliff and then up the shore at another dive park for four dives over two days. I had not dove the NW before and found all the starfish and related sea life quite interesting including a couple of lions mane that drifted by.

Yep, octos and wolf eels out at Whytecliff too, some really cool jellies, lots of rock fish....

If you are willing to travel for a day then there is some very good diving near Nanaimo and in the Schelt inlet. If you just want to go deep then Whytecliff park is handy but not overly interesting unless the seals come to play.

I can't help you with ops/guides. I've been gone too long.

R..

Unfortunately this is not a dive specific trip, so I will be tied to day trips out of Vancouver. Deep isn't required I just thought I would through it out there in case it's available.

Kelvins Grove and Tuwanek are semi-local too. (one far more than the other).

If you change your mind and can get on a boat you can head out to the Annapolis and Halkett Wall with New World Diving or Sea Dragon Charters.

Whytecliff will be your best Vancouver shore option. Best local diving is off Vancouver Island though (Barclay Sound, Port Hardy...)

Day boat trips are on the table, but shore diving is eaiser on the schedule and the wallet.

Agreed. Coming from Colorado just about anything would be more interesting then the mud we get to look at here.

I booked a private local DM who did pick up and drop off. I dove wet in a 10/14. Was very comfortable. Here are some photos and comments on my shore dives.
Vancouver
Vancouver Porteau Cove was a pretty dive up the fiord.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom