Vancouver - 1 day - June 4th 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're staying downtown I think your closest dive shop will be Rowands Reef. It is in Granville Island which is a nice place to visit in Vancouver anyways. Ocean Quest offers free fun dives every Saturday and they provide a divemaster: Fun Dives | Ocean Quest Dive Centre - Scuba Diving Vancouver, BC - Experts in Scuba Training. IDC does $10 fun dives once or twice a month. I think The Edge has a Sunday local diving program where you get free or cheap air fills. I don't know if they provide a divemaster or help buddy up divers.

In any case I would also suggest that as June gets closer, you post your dive day again in this forum. It is very likely that some of us may be able to join you and help you out.

I can look into a package rental for you if you want? all gear except personal. The diving is pretty easy to find people to go with on scubaboard, their is a great group of divers out here that would offer to take you out for free i'm sure. I could also try and set up a group dive if your interested.

The Edge sunday dive is great. It seems to consist mostly of regular/frequent local divers. Almost always a DM or instructor qualified diver attends although I don't think they are officially working. It is just a fun dive and is really the closest thing we have to a local dive club. You show at 9am or a bit earlier, car pool arrangements are made amongst everyone. One free tank of air is included. You can rent or gear from the shop. Some people dive one tank, others two tanks.

I have always had a great experience with this group, regardless of who shows up on a particular Sunday.

Hello again everyone. As Slamfire suggested, I'm posting again closer to my trip. As I mentioned before, the one day I can dive is Saturday, June 4th. I am basically a tourist, no vehicle, and will have only my personal gear with me. I really hope to have the opportunity to experience diving on the west coast.

I looked into getting to Ocean Quest's shop in Burnaby, it would seem to involve two transfers according to translink. That makes me a bit nervous. Are taxi services frequent near Joyce Station? I like that the dives are free, guided, and they can arrange the rental of equipment so that you just have to show up at 9am.

Doing a Sea Dragon Charter sounds really neat, but I would have to bring equipment with me, difficult as a tourist without a vehicle. An all-inclusive package would definitely be much better.

It looks like IDC does not have a group dive that day.

Rowands Reef's website doesn't list a dive for that day, however I see an option to hire a dive master for the day. Being that I'm unfamiliar with the diving conditions there, it may be a good idea. Can anyone recommend a dive master from there?

Any local advice would be appreciated.

PM sent bree

I'm so excited to dive at Whytecliff TWR! Thank you so much for buddying up! I'm gonna start packing tonight! If any other SBers are diving that day, please speak up, would be cool to meet some of you too.

I just want to say a big thank you to TheWetRookie! I had a fabulous time and wouldn't have been able to do it without his help. It was a fantastic warm and sunny day. I froze my tush off in a wetsuit, had a charlie horse and stumbled on the rocks, but it was 100% worth it to see some of the cool critters you have on the West Coast. TWR is a very patient and nice buddy! We even saw a glimpse of an octopus in his den!

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit, Bree. I was out in Whytecliff on Sunday. Missed you by a day. Mike, I thought you'd be in Comox this last weekend. Did you go diving on Friday night?

Thanks, Bree, they were a good couple of dives, saw lots.

Nope, no Comox, they had wicked vis though, 100+ and no Friday night.

We must take corrective action then. Let's go night diving this Friday. I haven't done Caulfield in a long while.

Back
Top Bottom