Value on lightly used Genesis HP steel 120's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan Watkins

Contributor
Reaction score
I have two high pressure steel tanks (sold as Sherwood Genesis) HP steel 120's (3500 psi working pressure). They are hot dipped galvanized.

They have Sherwood 300 bar DIN valves 7/8 threads.

I bought them both new in 1995 , I only have 13 dives on each tank. (I did not dive for many years). The tanks were stored in a cool, dry place, with a few hundred psi of air in the tanks to keep out any contaminants.

I recently started diving again more frequently and had the tanks fully serviced.

Both passed Hydro test on 10/2006, next due is 10/2011.

On 7/2007 the tanks were VIP'd, O2 cleaned (for Nitrox use), and valves rebuilt. Only 4 dives have been put on each tank since.

I have been kicking around the idea of selling them.

I have read that PST hasn't been making tanks recently. The closest I could find to these tanks are the Worthington X7-120's with a 3442 psi working pressure. I see they are $380.

Anyone have any idea what my Genesis 120's would be worth?

...well, they're 13 yrs old, and I think those tanks may have 'wierd' tank valves ( canted at an angle, plus maybe an 'obsolete' tank thread diameter..not sure if current tanks use the 7/8" threads ) which are negative factors....pricing will somewhat depend on how desperately soon you need to sell them, if you can hold out for higher pricing....also, if you can't ship them but want to sell locally, that will reduce sales opportunities. You might have to subtract out of the price the cost of 2 new visual inspections too. Ebay would be a good place to let the marketplace set the value as well. If I were buying them, I'd pay somewhere in the 1/2 to 2/3 of a new HP 120 steel tank price.

Karl

I might be interested depending upon what you want. Where are you located?

To be perfectly honest, I hadn't been 100% commited to selling them.

I don't dive doubles, but I do dive some deeper wrecks at the limits of recreational diving. I like the large capacity singles and I was entertaining the thought of buying some Worthington 130's.

In all honesty, I guess volume wise it is not a whole lot of difference, but depending on my depth it can provide a few more minutes of dive time.

This made me wonder what my tanks would be worth in order to justify entertaining the upgrade.

I live in SE Pennysvlania.

Also depending upon depth the tank volume might not be an issue since NDL would hit first.

BTW, according to Diverite express 7/8" threads are no longer the norm.

i would give you $400 for them but the shipping would be too much. You might get $500 put them on Craigslist. But I really don't see why you are selling to buy 130's.

Also depending upon depth the tank volume might not be an issue since NDL would hit first.

With air this is definately the case. With Nitrox, depending on the mix/depth, I can be air limited. I don't mind a bit of deco if I have the gas left for it :)
BTW, according to Diverite express 7/8" threads are no longer the norm.

Thats correct. The High Pressure 3500's used a smaller neck and 7/8 threads. The newer medium/high pressure 3442's use the more standard 3/4 threads.

But I really don't see why you are selling to buy 130's.
I know its only 10 cu.ft more but that can translate into 4 more minutes at 80 feet assuming a .75 cu.ft/min SAC rate as an example. Or another 9 minutes of air at a 15 foot safty/deco stop. It's enough to somewhat pique my interest :)

...one thing to consider is that the HP 120 has the same diameter as an AL80, whereas the HP has a wider, 8" diameter.....I mention that as many dive boats have tank racks that can't handle 8" tanks, but are designed to 'fit' standard AL 80's....so for some applications the HP 120 is ideal, as it's the largest capacity tank that fits an AL 80 tank rack.

Karl

I have gone to great lengths to obtain 4 of these and get them back in service as 2 sets of doubles. I bought 2 lots of 6-8 tanks, from Craigslist, to get them. They weigh less than 50 lbs full. I got tired of the excessive weight of the Faber 3180+ 120cf tanks and sold my doubles for dirt on ebay, 61 lbs full each. I dove the Faber doubles with no weights, which means no weights to drop and I was still negative with 700 psi in them. I had 4, 2 doubled and 2 single which I'll keep diving. Even the Worthington 3442 120cf tanks, which are pretty good, are not as light as these old tanks, 53lbs I think.
Before I found the second lot of tanks, I found that they are still available new from Sherwood. I understand the 3500psi tanks have been out of production since 2005.
Cons,
You can get a short fill due to the high working pressure.
As mentioned the valves have a 7/8 thread, no longer made by genesis, but still available, but for how long. I just bought an isolator to fit them from diverite, which worked with Genesis valves.
Best,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom