Valley of the Rays, La.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
Feel free to relocate this thread. I am posting vintage because the artical is in Skin Diver magazine, Nov. 1967. I was a child when I read the story. The place is described as a stoney outcropping and gulley approximately 85 miles out of Cameron, La. The story fascinated me then and still does now. I figured that some of you guys may have dived this area or know of it since you may have been around longer than the resort oriented divers of modern era.
Quiet some time ago a skipper took me out to a place out of Destin--way out---he said no one dives this place and few know of it---it was at least 40 miles out of the pass I figure---pre GPS. The depth was apprpox 100-125 feet and then dropped deeper along on a rocky ledge--great dive, strong currents, sharks, super visibility. I have also dived Stetson Banks and the Flower Gardens so I figure this Valley of the Rays is now on my list. Anyone have a GPS for it, I can keep a secret--shhhhhh.
I am going through the old magazines after the washing machine broke a hose in the basement a few weeks ago. I am amazed at the old advertizments, no BCs, entire scuba sets for 99 dollars from Central Scuba, wet suits for 39 dollars!!!!! Fanatastic stuff. N

Back
Top Bottom