Valhalla Dive 11/15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldschool

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If you have not yet dived the Valhalla missile silo, put it on your list. It's not just the dive, but everything leading up to the plunge in 58 degree crystal clear water. Ok, I wussed out and made only one dive, but it was well worth the three hour drive there and back. It is a surreal experience. The drive there takes you through the world's largest windmill farm. Once there, the only clue of the silo's existance is a small blockhouse in the middle of an overgrown field. Opening the door starts you on a seven story descent to what was once the control room and is now the staging area and overnight primative accomodations if desired. A walk down a dimly lit short corridor takes you to the silo. After descending down a long and swaying sduspended stairway, you arrive at the dive platform. If you have any doubt how cold 58 degree water is, jump in wearing a 5 mil suit. The viz was a good 80' or better. We went down to 106' and began a slow ascending spiral along the wall. We reached the surface after spending a whopping 22 minutes below. Plantlife? Zero. Fish? Zero. Bragging rights? Priceless. I don't suspect there are many repaeat customers, but a one time experience it definitely is. Thanks to the folks from Oak Hills who set this up. It was a great experience. Now on to get that t-shirt.....

Glad you had fun! We had a GREAT time!
BTW - this was our 2nd trip out there and I'm sure we'll go again. :D

Melissa

Had a blast...pun intended...
Four of us from San Antonio...
I would go again...my son probably...don't know about the others...
30 minute dive seems appropriate with a stop at the guidance system...
Time is dependant on who is diving wet and how much they can tolerate...
Enjoyed the visit with the Austin folks....thanks to Zinc, Chris, and Melissa...
Didn't catch the names of the others...guess I am gettin old...
Who was the alien in the space helmet? I came up to the sight of a guy's head ringed in lights...
Klatu...Barrada...Nicto

Ha! Ha! That was probably me trying out my latest contraption. :D That was a climbing helmet with all the padding torn out and 2 - 5 watt LEDs...one ziptied to each side. Dang thing was pretty bright, huh? :cool2:

Wish we could've stayed longer and met everyone. Pretty cool place, although I think one experience is enough for me.

Who was the alien in the space helmet? I came up to the sight of a guy's head ringed in lights...
Klatu...Barrada...Nicto

I agree with Oldschool, we had a great time and have the bragging rights but not sure if I'll do it again anytime soon. Maybe if a friend wanted to go and needed a buddy.

Trip photos:

Attachments

• IMG_2168.jpg
    IMG_2168.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2262.jpg
    IMG_2262.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2274.jpg
    IMG_2274.jpg
    398.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2193.jpg
    IMG_2193.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2197.jpg
    IMG_2197.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_2199.jpg
    IMG_2199.jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2244.jpg
    IMG_2244.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2251.jpg
    IMG_2251.jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 94
ps -If you see this, Randy, I lost your pictures. They didn't show up on the card. :(

I had a great time too. It was great meeting new people and putting some faces to names. I'll be getting in touch with everyone about the t-shirts in the next day or so.

Back
Top Bottom