UWS Commercial Diving Program Seneca

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

axh4dive

New
Reaction score
Anyone graduate from the commercial diving program at Seneca?. Just wanted to know your experience of the program. If I'm correct the program takes place on campus and in the end a 2 week deep dive practical in Georgian Bay?.

Choose another goal be a doctor a lawyer but don't go into commercial diving you'll be broke all your life and never have both feet firmly on the ground. Just my 2 cents

The comment by Roast Beef is a little abrupt - but has some truth to it but certainly not that harsh for those that make it. Those who really arent suited to the vocation of Commercial Diving will find it a hard go. There is a lot of travel, uncertainty and long hours.

BUT - and a really BIG "but" - those who are truly dedicated to becoming a professional in the industry by continually upgrading themselves in the latest technology (ie: ROV operations, Deep diving, construction, etc.) will find it a rewarding lifestyle that has no equal. If you truly want to be a professional (as in - THIS is what I do!!) - then you will be fine.There IS lots of travel, there IS lots of adventure, the IS periods of downtime, and, there IS lots of money to be made. Remember, you are buying into a lifestyle and a career. It is NOT recreational diving.

As far as Seneca UW Skills program goes, remember that it is a 8 month long course at college level - meaning you get credits that can continue on higher education if you so chose. And, being a diver is not the only path from that education, you could work for undersea service companies that doesnt even employ divers at all. Your education and training is only the first step. Continue educating yourself and move up the ranks. Personally, I used commercial diving to pay for school to become an engineer to end up running a large division of an international diving services company for 20 years. There are many like me. How we got to where we are/were took a lot of hard work, lots of travel ... and the many episodes of the uncertainty that Roast Beef mentioned. Being a lawyer or doctor has no guarantee of wealth or uncertainty either. I have friends in both professions who didnt have what it took in their profession either - and they are struggling!) - if you want it bad enough, you will find a way. It is NOT an easy industry. But - life has no guarantees anywhere. Suck it up - just do it!

I highly recommend Seneca and similar programs for what it is - a college that will give you the basics in the craft and an education that you can build on.

Good luck in your quest. If you want it and willing to work for it HARD, you will do just fine. It really isnt for everyone - but those that chose to do it and work for it, there is nothing like it!

Regards,
Doug Elsey, P.Eng.
Executive Director - Canadian Association of Diving Contractors.

Don't listen to roast beef, obviously a clueless retard. I did UWS in 2001, been in the trade for 12 years, regular rotations home, have a family with 2 kids, very good money, see the world.

You will work HARD for your money and its a difficult in the first 5-6 years but if you like the idea of eventually making 200k a year and the freedom to live anywhere in the world, give it a shot.

oh, and stay well away from the U.S.. Get your DCBC ticket and get to Asia.

Pm me if your interested.

Cam

If you goal is to become a commercial diver I would suggest a school that does nothing but that, not a college. If this is just going to be a useful course that can be used later as part of something like a marine science degree then doing it at the college would not be a bad idea.

Check out CWDI. you can get your ticket in 3 months. The key here is to get an HSE recognized ticket. Something that is good internationally. The only american school is the one in Seattle that will issue a DCBC ticket but these courses at the dedicated colleges are CRAZY expensive. The good thing about Seneca is its only about 2,500 for tuition. The problem is its 9 months long so factor in lost wages and do the math.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom