Uwatec Wet Button and Smart Z Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrock357mag

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking at possibly buying a Uwatec Smart Z, the only problem I have is the fact that i dive dry most of the time. Will the wet buttons on this computer work when i have rubber dry gloves on? Leisurepro has these on sale fore real cheap Im guessing that I will not be able to send it back to Uwatec for free battery replacement if I by from LP? Thanks for the help

Why do you need to turn it on before getting into the water? If you want to check pressure then you can do that before you fully gear up (An analog gauge (SPG) on a 24" hose clipped off on the left side is something I would recommend). Honestly I can not remember ever trying to turn mine on while wearing my dry gloves.

I have been happy with my Smart Z, but I just went to pack my gear for tomorrow and there is a blotch on the screen. Off to Uwatec it is going to go. In it's defense it has gone over 200+ dives.

Looking at possibly buying a Uwatec Smart Z, the only problem I have is the fact that i dive dry most of the time. Will the wet buttons on this computer work when i have rubber dry gloves on? Leisurepro has these on sale fore real cheap Im guessing that I will not be able to send it back to Uwatec for free battery replacement if I by from LP? Thanks for the help

Are you talking about your ability to press the buttons underwater using gloves? or

The wet buttons activating properly because of your suit configuration?

Best Regards
Richard

I have the Smart Z and yes, I could see it being a problem if you want to change your PO2, say, between dives with your rubber gloves on. You have to make an electrical connection between those contacts, so having an insulator in between won't work.

All of the buttons on the Smart Z are electrical contact points. Using the buttons without removing your gloves is near impossible.

You wont get in to true "buttons" on a UWATEC / Scubapro hoseless until you get to Galileo Sol and thats 3x the price as the Smart Z. The Galileo Terra is not air integrated so don't consider that an option if you want hoseless.

I own a Galileo sol and I'm very happy with it. It was pricey but looking back it was worth it for me.

Was it the style or size that got you looking at the Smart Z? Just trying to see what you're looking for so we can recommend something for you that may be what you're after.

I own a Galileo sol and I'm very happy with it. It was pricey but looking back it was worth it for me. .....

I concur. I got the Sol for my wife and I and we are both happy with them.

Best Regards
Richard

I have the Smart Z and yes, I could see it being a problem if you want to change your PO2, say, between dives with your rubber gloves on. You have to make an electrical connection between those contacts, so having an insulator in between won't work.

I kinda forgot about changing that since I always dive 32%.

I havent really played with the Smart Z at all so I just didnt know if there was really any need to use the buttons underwater, didnt know if the Smart Z had different screens like my Pro Plus 2.The Galileo is really up there in price thats why I was looking at the smart Z, the only thing that is holding me back is the fact that I have to send it to Uwatec to have the batteries replaced, or at least thats what ive been reading. Since I dive with dry gloves, and maybe had the need to press the buttons for whatever reason it sounds as thought they need to be press with your bare hands or by constantly licking your fingers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom