Uwatec-Galelio

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you kidding? That mask doesn't even have a purge valve.

Seriously, I love gimmicky electronic stuff as much as the next guy, but given the range of gear available, I can't have it all and need to prioritize. If a piece of gear will seriously enhance my diving, I'm all for it. HUD? I don't see any advantage, but I do see some potential problems. I would expect visibility to be the main selling point for HUD, but to me, looking into a corner of my mask is no more convenient than the glance at my wrist.

HUD? I don't see any advantage, but I do see some potential problems. I would expect visibility to be the main selling point for HUD, but to me, looking into a corner of my mask is no more convenient than the glance at my wrist.

I can see it would be very useful for anybody diving in genuine zero viz. Other than that I think its a gimmick.

I've looked the liquivision over and I like it, but still lean towards Cochran.

It seems as though the Galileo is only capable of monitoring one buddy. Too bad, the one feature I would consider useful is the ability to monitor my students gas supply. I suppose this could be added as a feature, since it's just a matter of programming. Alright, the big ass numbers are nice, too.

My reading comprehension is quite good, thanks. Is there a point to your post?

I spent an hour with the West Cost SP rep on Saturday going over the computer, read the manual and played with the LDS demo model. I won't speak for you or other members, but for me, that qualifies as having seen the computer. My reply was a kind way of stating that the computer was overpriced overkill.
As for the heart rate monitor... The SP rep stated that this feature is not used very much, yet is highly marketed. The reality is that if you are breathing hard, your heart rate will be accelerated. I don't need a computer to tell me I am breathing hard.

I agree this is a step forward in the future of computers, but a step away from the thinking diver.

Scubapro is coming out with a model that does not include the heart rate monitor. I believe everything else about the computer is the same. I think it may have already come out, or if not it will be out very soon.

That's the Uwatec Galileo Terra. Looks identical to the Sol, apart from the brushed silver finish around the scene is blue. Layout on screen is the same, as is the navigation, etc. It also has the digital compass.

However, as this is the entry-level Galileo, it only does one nitrox mix, and it can't use transmitters. It is retailing for around £470 in the UK.

Two upgrades are then available – one gives it the software to be able to use the heart-rate monitor, which you can then buy separately, and the other enables it to use three gas mixes (the same as the Sol).

Mark

I've had the Galileo since 12/07 and put 30 dives on it. Although extremely expensive, it's an amazing computer.
However those of us who use Macintosh computers (which I'll guess to be the only one in this thread) suffer a little, which is usual. I have had moderate success using a program called JTrak to download my dives. Unfortunately being a Mac user I am unable to install the latest firmware v1.4 update b/c it downloads as an .exe file. Having an Intel Mac, I know I can boot into Windows using an number of emulation programs, but I simply do not want to have Windows on my machine.
Does anyone know of a way to install the latest Firmware update using a Macintosh computer?
Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
-ROD

you could try and get crossover for the mac, it allows some windows programs to run in an emulation mode. Its a bit of a crap shoot to see if it will work. It might be worth the try at least to run the .exe file.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom