UW Wideangle to Macro Lens Swapping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't know, really - I would guess that a $35 mounting ring is less expensive than new -> used depreciation on a $400-500 or so lens, plus they'd only need to ship a small part one way rather than a large and heavy package back and forth, but ultimately it's the store manager's call.

Thx Aviator8!

If that magnetic solution really works UW with flexibility to switch between wide and macro lenses it would be revolutionary! I never hear of such a solution and none of the regular dive equipment sites seem to have such a solution. I wonder if it's real or actually works? The Review of one customer says it doesn't and the rest of the reviews don't give any detail so I wonder how real they are?

I wish I could use bayonet adaptors but unfortunately not compatible with my Ikelite housing which requires protruding rear element on my wideangle to get overcome the shorter thread on my port, even though it is a 67mm. I wonder even if this product is legit and works, just how compatible it would be with my housing/lenses anyway?

Have you got a picture of your existing set up? How long does it take you to swap between wide and macro lenses UW?

Thx
Sorry I have been away with limited access but it looks like @Barmaglot took care of you.

For two lenses, you'd need two full sets ($59 each), one female part ($35) and two M67 holders. You'd thread the female parts into the two holders and your port, thread the lenses into the two male parts and then attach and detach things as needed.
How deep is the threading on your port, and how far does the rear element of your lens protrude past its threads? The threaded part on the female half of the magnetic adapter (the part that goes into the port) is 3mm tall, and my WFL05S, which protrudes 7mm past its own threads, end up sitting exactly flush with the end of threads on the female half. The threading on my port is 5mm deep, so that 7mm protruding rear element ends up 2mm away from the port glass.

Hey Barmaglot, what is the M67 holder and arm you are using and what is the depth of the M67 holder thread? I am just wondering if it is deep enough if I don’t use the magnetic adaptor on my wide lens (if I find it results in too much vignette) and my wide lens thread and protrusion totals 6mm. Many thanks

Correct.

Sounds about right. I don't know how much vignetting you'll have as I have no experience with your camera model, but I've seen several posts, here and elsewhere, complaining about excessive vignetting with Panasonic LX10 and wet lenses, using combinations that, reportedly, work fine on other cameras, so I suspect that LX10's lens is especially susceptible to these issues,

Hi Barmaglot, do you have a link to some sealife pics taken with your macro lens using the magnetic adaptor please?

Great thx Barm. Have you done a comparison of image quality with and without the adaptor?

You mean the magnetic rings? No, but considering that the rear element is maybe 2mm away from the port glass, and close-up lenses are not as sensitive to distance from lens front element as wide-angle wet lenses are, I doubt the magnetic adapter has any effect on image quality.

Ah yes that's true, your macro has unusually long protrusion back to the port glass

Back
Top Bottom