UW Photography for under $200??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cptdanger

Reaction score
Excuse me if this is a recurring theme here... but i was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a low-cost UW camera. Rodale's has a pretty good review of 8 low-cost camaras with the Sealife Reefmaster RC looking like a pretty good deal:

http://www.scubadiving.com/photo/gear/8cameras/

Seems though without the strobe arm and additional lenses your very limited..

I have noticed an unsettling trend in the ads for these cameras.. They have pics of the camaras but no pics taken with the cameras! Seems like if you wanted to sell a camera you'd obviously want to show what the product could do!

-mark

cptdanger once bubbled...
Excuse me if this is a recurring theme here... but i was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a low-cost UW camera. Rodale's has a pretty good review of 8 low-cost camaras with the Sealife Reefmaster RC looking like a pretty good deal:

http://www.scubadiving.com/photo/gear/8cameras/

Seems though without the strobe arm and additional lenses your very limited..

I have noticed an unsettling trend in the ads for these cameras.. They have pics of the camaras but no pics taken with the cameras! Seems like if you wanted to sell a camera you'd obviously want to show what the product could do!

-mark

When I was doing my research, I boiled it down to either the Sealife Reefmaster RC or Ikelite.

But when it came time to put down the money, I went a different route. I bought a Ikelite Aquashot II with the macro kit and strobe from ebay. Took my dremel out and chewed out part of the housing and stuck a real Kodak camera inside it. So for less than $100 US and a little bit of elbow grease you can have the equivalent of the Ikelite 3e.

Note: The Ikelite website posts actual pictures taken by the cameras.

One of our group, on a recent rip to Cozumel, used the new Bonica Explorer. He had the film developed in town and the results were excellent. Bonica has a great reputation for service, as well. I should know - they've been very gracious about relacing equipment! Don't limit yourself to a low budget, unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. You will be bound to see something better, a little later on. Also, get a unit that can be imprved with add-ons. Bonica is such a system.

Good luck in your hunt:)

I can personally tell you for a film camera they take good picture with the strobe ect check the aqura trader some camera listed there seen complete set up strobe all the items you can get for little to nothing .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom