UW photography class recommendations in the U.S.?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glee719

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I am curious to see if there are any recommendations on a good class to attend in the U.S. I don't want to just go for anybody with an underwater camera, I rather go with someone with a lot of tips and experiences to share. Also, I want less emphasis on equipment but more on techniques.

Please share your thoughts.

I was going to attend one of Reef Photo's macro workshops but I figured I will ask here and see if there is anything more worth while. Cheers.

Hi there,

I run personalised compact camera courses in England and was with Reef Photo and Chris Parsons of Nauticam US last year on one of their workshops.

The guests absolutely loved it and Ryan, Chris and Alan were super passionate about helping everyone with their underwater photography.

Blue Heron Bridge is a great place to practice from what I've seen too ...

Good luck and look forward to seeing your photos on here.

Maria

I've been looking into this as well for next year. Only problem is I'm pursuing Tech training, and my Tech check-out dives will be aboard a Florida live-aboard, so money towards photo-classes will be tight.

I'm leaning heavily towards Reefphoto workshops & Mexicandiver Magazine digital fiesta workshops. Although pretty sure I'll be on mandatory 12hr workdays next March, April, and May which is the timeframe Mexicandiver Magazine usually hosts its events.

Underwater Colours has a week long uw photo workshop every summer in Cozumel, and would be hard to pass up. They also have courses around the globe, just take a look on their webpage.

Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros Phil Rudin and Ryan

Welcome to Mexicandiver Magazine Phil Rudin

Underwater Photography Workshops: Learn Underwater Photography Underwater colours workshops taught by Bonnie Pelnar

Welcome Cathy Church

Jim Church School of Digital Underwater Photography

I'll be following this post, because I'm also interested what people say.

Last edited:
There are a couple types of classes, those run by photographers like Steve Frink, and those run by Scuba cert agencies like PADI, ect. I would think the reef photo class would be a more professional workshop. I know the local LDS runs a PADI style class with the instructor sporting a PnS camera and telling folks to use the UW setting, so hardly high end.

Obviously this all depends on the instructor so if you are looking for an advanced class talk to the instructor.

Ron, that's why I don't want to just go for any "PADI certified" trainer. I want a good photographer that has good teaching methods.

---------- Post Merged at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:39 PM ----------

I can give B&H a shot, but previously I wasn't thrilled with their free classes because they tend to be very product-focused (and no surprise there).

Don't neglect your scuba skills either ... one of the most important aspects of taking good underwater pictures is the ability to hold your position in the water. Excellent buoyancy control is essential, and the ability to use precise finning techniques, back-kick in particular, while framing your picture can make the difference between a ho-hum shot and something that really grabs the eye.

If you were on the west coast, I'd refer you to Scott Lundy ... a local underwater photographer who offers personalized workshops. I took one with him a couple weeks ago and got a great deal out of it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Came back from B&H and wasn't too bad. It was a lot about different equipment types and pros and cons, and I got couple techniques out of it. I guess I can't complain since it's free.

I signed up for the Reef Photo macro workshop and will be joining next week. I can't wait!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom