UW Paintball

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

turtle_guy

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So my brother and I were just brainstorming and came up with a theory for under water paintball. You would have to freeze the paint to get it to not explode upon firing. But we just can't come up with a solution to the range issue. So if all of the collective wisdom of this board can come up with something i would be appreciative.

Tape a paint marker on the end of a spear and just use your speargun....uhmm...maybe not.

Really though as long as the barrel is fully flooded when you shoot, there is no need to freeze the paint ball, it won't explode.

The range issue is a tough one though as the sectional denisty of a paint ball is really poor.

It should explode be cause they are gas powered, like hollow points will expand in water if fired even with a totally flooded barrel.

Why would you want to pollute the H2O

Just a question. Would the increased water pressure at depth rupture the ball? I had a problem with die marker container in my bcd pocket leaking when on a dive to 60 feet or so the increased water pressure cracked the packet.

Why would you want to pollute the H2O
paint balls are just water based biodegradable paint and a similar gelatin shell. and thanks on the pressure thought maybe i'll take some with me when i get wet next to see

"water based biodegradable paint"??? That doesn't really say a lot -- I'd sure want to know more than that before encouraging lots of people to pump lots of those things into the water.

FYI, we're water based and biodegradable too, as are orcas, salmon, and sea lions. But that doesn't mean that some of them aren't pretty toxic.

I don't think the padded speartip on a speargun idea is so bad. We used to have some hellacious BB-gun fights when I was a wild little kid.
I guess clear water would help - up there in Puget Sound, you guys would be blasting away at each other at point-blank range. Rebreathers too so no tell-tale bubbles. Scooters for Water-Mobile Cav. Reef snipers. Duels descending in the water column. Awesome possibilites.
Laugh all ya want, but I bet a whole lot of people would want to try it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom