UW Laser pointer...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about just taking a regular pointer and putting it in a food saver bag......just a thought......When the batterys die just cut it open and put it in another one.

Baby soda bottle or other polymer test tube might work as well. It is also reusable.

I have one of those cheapie jobs. I thought would be an easy mod. I looked all on Deal Extreme (DX) for hours to find suitable laser innards to put in my host, but fouind none as a drop in.

BTW: the cheapie (Trident Laser) is a waste of $ and time. Unless you want to dump out the batteries, and laser guts and store a small cigar to enjoy after the dive, I'd recommend saying your money. It washes out under water after about 6'. I was very disappointed. I had the most fun with it on the way home from the dive shop pointing it at road signs. The dive was a huge disappointment.
I do hear adn read the green laser is better underwater.
Let us know how it turns out.

Why indeed?

The only idea i can come up is to use it as a visual reference while shooting video. Calibrating the middle of the screen w/laser point at lets say 15Ft distance. Could allow you toshoot video and not to look at the screen.

Hook it up w/handheld doppler sonar to measure distance?

Or is there another use?

I've seen the RPV's use two parallel laser beams to judge the size of things.

How about just taking a regular pointer and putting it in a food saver bag......just a thought......When the batterys die just cut it open and put it in another one.

That wouldn't work. You need to shoot thru a very flat lens to keep the beam.

Take a normal cheapie laser pointer with the button on the back end (ie the opposite end of where the beam shoots from.

Put it in ANY underwater torch housing (after dumping out the batteries and bulb from the torch).

Presto! When you turn the bezel to switch on the torch as you used to, when you do that now, the button of the cheapie laser pointer is pressed and you have light!

I should try this the next time I go....Hmm

Why not just buy a $25-30 laser pointer made for diving. Leisurepro and scuba.com both sell them.

Hmm if I could come up with a proper current-regulated power supply I'd try to do a 200mw 532nm green pointer that is waterproof :)

I think the diode uses like 2.8 volts at 1.8 amps, then the fan is 5vdc.

Some purposes that I've read about for this green laser is that it does 4 things:
1. Identifies things under water to buddies, also you can see the whole beam (not just where it points.)
2. It can get a buddies attention if you need it by flashing it in front of them or near them.
3. It is supposed to stay visible at lower depths, green is one of the least affected colors in the spectrum (compared to red.)
4. It has been said that it is a possible shark deterrent. This sounds like it may not work, but the site I read had supposed scientific evidence behind it's claim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom