UW critters........ Where and how hard???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaworm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
How hard is it to find manits shrimp in California? How about the giant pacific octopus and wolf eel??? One last thing how had is snoot photography?

As far as I know, Mantis shrimp aren't found in California except in tropical fish stores.
GPO's are much more common in Washington, BC and Alaska but we occasionally see one in Northern California. I've seen two over the past several months. I know many divers who have been diving for years and never seen one.
I haven't tried using a snoot yet, but the challenge would be to maintain your aim of the snoot at your subject while maintaining your body position, camera position and setting up your shot. Aiming a strobe without a snoot can be challenging.
We see many Wolf Eels in Monterey. Lately, we've spotted one on most dives we've done in Monterey Bay and Carmel. You have to inspect every large crevice with your divelight to spot them.

Mantis shrimp are relatively common at certain soft bottom sites here on Catalina such as Willow Cove and Moonstone-Hen Rock but you will have to look for them. GPO are non-existent. Wolf eels can be seen on the mainland in SoCal but I've never seen one here on Catalina.

LongBeach3_zpsca85eaf5.jpg

LongBeach6_zps30497254.jpg

Wolf eels can be found on wrecks and rocky reefs below 80 feet in SoCal. I've also found them fairly shallow at La Jolla Shores.

Mantisshrimp10.jpg

Marineland8_zps4b4e25c6.jpg

As Dr. Bill mentioned, Mantis shrimp can be found on soft bottoms at Catalina. You can find dozens of them, including tiny juveniles in the silty bottom near the Marineland and the sand near the point.

A GPO was caught in Redondo Canyon several years ago, but they are not usually found in SoCal. They can be seen on the deep reefs from Big Sur to Monterey. Some have been found while beach diving the North Coast.

Attachments

• LongBeach3_zpsca85eaf5.jpg
    LongBeach3_zpsca85eaf5.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 44
  • LongBeach6_zps30497254.jpg
    LongBeach6_zps30497254.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Mantisshrimp10.jpg
    Mantisshrimp10.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 204
  • Marineland8_zps4b4e25c6.jpg
    Marineland8_zps4b4e25c6.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 40
Interesting on the GPO in Redondo, Phil. I wasn't aware of that. I wonder if they are an example of submergence here in SoCal where a shallow cold water species might sink to lower, colder depths further south. Of course I've never seen a GPO here down to depths of 200 ft but it is an interesting thought.

The fisherman donated it to the Cabrillo Aquarium. It lived for a couple of months until it committed suicide. One night, it pulled a drain plug on the tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom