UW Case for a Sony Video Camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Can anyone provide me with some links to where I can obtain an underwater case for a sony video camera?
I have not bought a camera yet but I am looking at a low end TRV digital/Hi-8 format. I had the TRV-17 in mind.
Any links would be appreciated.

Do a search on google for underwater housings. I don't have the links on my computer here at work but I found several. If you PM me I will go through my links at home and send several to you.

Dolphin http://www.oceanbrite.com/dolsp100.htm makes very nice units but you will have to check on availability for that camera. With costs coming down on nice camera I would try to buy a camera that has the ability to take stills as well as video. The one I used in Coz took outstanding pictures. Most video cameras only have up to 1mg pxl for stills. Nice thing is you can get a still from the video stream and store it on the memory stick. Works quite well.

Good luck

I use the TRV-17 myself (along with Sony digital-8 and Hi-8 cameras as backup). My choice was the Top Dawg made by Light & Motion and sold by Backscatter in Monterey.

This housing is inexpensive ($800), works with almost any Sony TR/TRV or newer Canon video cameras), fine for close-up work (flat port) and has given me very good results (friends with much more expensive equipment including Sony VHX1000's have been astounded at the difference).

I have two at the moment (one for backup in the event of flooding).

Dr. Bill

I bought a shown above back in May and love it. I have shot a lot of video in dark cold waters of the Great lakes and it all turned out well. Actually, when we dove Isle Royale underwater preserve up in Lake Superior the water was 37 deg's. Every time I got down to depth, usually around 100' to 145' the water was at it's coldest and the dome port would condensate which you can see on the video. I am going to try the Silica bags next time I go to Gilboa to see if helps. Down here in Indy at the Sears I seen quite a few used but sold as new at a really nice price, most Sony's. I bough a housing up in Michigan for $700 out the door. Very nice housing. Hope this help's. Let me know if you have any questions about my gear or want some pics.

Jeff "Great lakes diver"

5615mike once bubbled...
Dolphin http://www.oceanbrite.com/dolsp100.htm makes very nice units but you will have to check on availability for that camera. With costs coming down on nice camera I would try to buy a camera that has the ability to take stills as well as video. The one I used in Coz took outstanding pictures. Most video cameras only have up to 1mg pxl for stills. Nice thing is you can get a still from the video stream and store it on the memory stick. Works quite well.

Good luck

Ocean Images is the actual manufacturer of these housings and their prices are lower than from Ocean Brite. FYI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom