UW Camera Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leabre

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there. I'm not a serious photographer and I don't want to be, either. But there have been many times when I wish I had a camera to capture the moment. I've been looking for a relatively inexpensive digital camera for underwater and that is also decent out of water, too. My budget is not unlimited.

The camera I have my eyes on now is the Sea & Sea DX860G. I know people that use it and have seen some amazing quality from its under water output and I like that the buttons are spaced enough apart that I can access them easily with gloves and I like that feature that you can snap new lenses to the housing underwater at-will. At $499 for the camera and housing it I'm considering purchasing + $400 for some lenses and the strobes.

I have two questions:

1) Does anyone have experience with the 860G and what are your impressions? What is the quality like for out-of-water photos?

2) What other decent quality contenders are there that produce good quality in and out of the water and fits the same relative price range?

Thanks

leabre:
Hi there. I'm not a serious photographer and I don't want to be, either. But there have been many times when I wish I had a camera to capture the moment. I've been looking for a relatively inexpensive digital camera for underwater and that is also decent out of water, too. My budget is not unlimited.

The camera I have my eyes on now is the Sea & Sea DX860G. I know people that use it and have seen some amazing quality from its under water output and I like that the buttons are spaced enough apart that I can access them easily with gloves and I like that feature that you can snap new lenses to the housing underwater at-will. At $499 for the camera and housing it I'm considering purchasing + $400 for some lenses and the strobes.

I have two questions:

1) Does anyone have experience with the 860G and what are your impressions? What is the quality like for out-of-water photos?

2) What other decent quality contenders are there that produce good quality in and out of the water and fits the same relative price range?

Thanks

Hi Leabre,

While there may be some who can answer your question here (I know nothing about underwater still photography), you will probably get more responses over in the Underwater Photography forum.

If your interested I've got a Sealife DC500 with a digital strobe I'd like to sell. It takes good pictures above and below the water.

If you haven't checked it out yet, have a look at the Sticky at the top of the UW Photo area - inside you'll find a bunch of information including links to relatively current discussions and images from a wide variety of cameras. It should help you get started!

You can get there from the Pink Link in my signature, too.

I personally prefer the Canon A series cameras with the Canon housings. Fuji has some good options, too.

How much?

Not sure what is worth. I was thinking like $700 but thats negotable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom