UTI's and Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubawife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I hope someone has had this experience and can help me out. I'm leaving Monday for a 2wk dive trip. First dive day is Tues. I just got antibiotics today for a minor bladder infection/UTI. It's been several years since I had one, but last time I was symptomatically fine in about 3 days. Has anyone dived a few days after starting treatment for a UTI or bladder infection, and if so, did your symptoms come back, get worse, or was everything fine?

Occasionally you might get a yeast infection from antibiotic. If you want to be sure you don't itch on your vacation, pickup a pack of vaginal yeast cream before you go. Being damp and wet in the water might make you more prone for yeast infections...

Hi scubawife,

Given an uncomplicated/minor UTI that has been caught fairly early, antibiotic treatment should bring it under control rather promptly. Since the contemporary treatment course tends to be rather brief, often about 3 days and sometimes only a single dose, the probability of developing a fungal infection is rather low. If one does develop, it would be expected to respond to creams containing miconazole (e.g., Monistat, Micatin) or clotrimazole (e.g., Lotrimin).

Of greater concern than a yeast infection is that both UTI and the antibiotics used to treat it can be dehydrating, so make sure to drink plenty of fluids, including cranberry juice.

Finally, certain antibiotics can predispose to sunburn. If this is an issue, be sure to carefully protect against u/v exposure.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Regards,

DocVikingo

I have a similar question: If I suspect I have a UTI, can diving cause complications? I'm pretty sure it hasn't worked its way up to my kidneys, but I'm worried that the pressure of diving might be bad in some way. Anybody ever dive with a UTI?

Thanks!

I have a similar question: If I suspect I have a UTI, can diving cause complications? I'm pretty sure it hasn't worked its way up to my kidneys, but I'm worried that the pressure of diving might be bad in some way. Anybody ever dive with a UTI?

Thanks!

Hi Chelsea,
If you suspect that you have a UTI, it's a good idea to see your primary care practitioner or go to an urgent care center to be evaluated. However, if you're only "pretty sure" it hasn't spread to your kidneys, you definitely need to be evaluated. Pyelonephritis is not something to take lightly as it can lead to sepsis.

If it's a simple, uncomplicated UTI, follow DocVikingo's advice above and you should be fine. Pressure will not cause bacteria to migrate up the ureters to the kidneys.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom