Utila Saga Continues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cudabait

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
HERE WE GO AGAIN!!

No kidding, friends, today was one of the best days diving ever! And I've done some diving. We got up this morning and went to the operator we are diving with at the moment. Ecomarine. They do not claim to have the fastest boat on the island, but they have passed a couple that do calim to be the fastest. Nice quick jet drive dive boat. Took us about half hout to get to the farthest point north on the island, Blackish point. I have dove this site before and it is by far my favorite. I could dive it daily and not get tired of it. It is also unique in that the ref drops off to a sand shelf which runs to a deeper reef ledge that again drops off to another sand shelf at about 120 feet. The bottom of the first drop id about 65-70 feet. It is washed out at that depth by sea erosion from millions of years back. As a result there are caverns and caves, swim thrus, and chimneys which rise vertically through the reef. We saw nudis, large midnight parrots, huge Rainbow parrots, snapper, grouper and all the little stuff one would expect to see. One seven foot nurse shark. Did get a few pics.

Had another fantastic surface interval. Capt. did find three whale sharks which we all got to see in the water. One had a 7 foot reef shark hanging around. Real neat raw open water adventure.

The 2nd dive was on a southside reef, Radar Reef. It was a good dive but it will be a few days before wife and I are over this morning's adventure. We don't plan to dive tomorrow. We run with a pretty high nitrogen load so we take a day now and then and chill. We are also looking into a couple of guys here with motor sailers. We may try to put together a five or six day sail/dive to Cayos Cochinos and return via Roatan. We'll see how it develops. We'll get back in a day or so.

Regards to all our swanper friends,

Cudabait:
HERE WE GO AGAIN!!

No kidding, friends, today was one of the best days diving ever! And I've done some diving. We got up this morning and went to the operator we are diving with at the moment. Ecomarine. They do not claim to have the fastest boat on the island, but they have passed a couple that do calim to be the fastest. Nice quick jet drive dive boat. Took us about half hout to get to the farthest point north on the island, Blackish point. I have dove this site before and it is by far my favorite. I could dive it daily and not get tired of it. It is also unique in that the ref drops off to a sand shelf which runs to a deeper reef ledge that again drops off to another sand shelf at about 120 feet. The bottom of the first drop id about 65-70 feet. It is washed out at that depth by sea erosion from millions of years back. As a result there are caverns and caves, swim thrus, and chimneys which rise vertically through the reef. We saw nudis, large midnight parrots, huge Rainbow parrots, snapper, grouper and all the little stuff one would expect to see. One seven foot nurse shark. Did get a few pics.

Had another fantastic surface interval. Capt. did find three whale sharks which we all got to see in the water. One had a 7 foot reef shark hanging around. Real neat raw open water adventure.

The 2nd dive was on a southside reef, Radar Reef. It was a good dive but it will be a few days before wife and I are over this morning's adventure. We don't plan to dive tomorrow. We run with a pretty high nitrogen load so we take a day now and then and chill. We are also looking into a couple of guys here with motor sailers. We may try to put together a five or six day sail/dive to Cayos Cochinos and return via Roatan. We'll see how it develops. We'll get back in a day or so.

Regards to all our swanper friends,
Hard to tell from your post..... are you saying that you're having a good time...... or not? :wink:

kinda sounds like they are not enjoying the dive because they feel sorry for the rest of us that couldnt be there. lol

Cudabait! Stop it man! You're killin' me here! All I seem to be doing is going back and forth to work.

Jester:
Cudabait! Stop it man! You're killin' me here!

Yeah....what he said!

You earned it, Man....enjoy!

MAN.... this sounds way to good to be true... Glad to hear you're having a good time!

Well, at the expense of upsetting Jester, I'll keep this one short.

Stayed dry yesterday.

This AM we went tothe north side...TJ's Drop Off....This one does drop off!! Viz was, according to imperial standards, 150'. We dropped to 115' and began a slow drifting ascent. Shooting some pics along the way. We worked our way along the wall and through channels to eventually top out on the reef at about 25'. Beautiful color with the light. Safety stop then out.

Surface interval, too windy to hunt whale sharks, etc. Shucks!

Second dive very interesting..started at Moon Hole and drifted/swam west along the reef ultimately ending the dive on a wreck, the Haliburton. She rests upright in about 110'. We swam horizontally at about 60' from the reef to the wheelhouse. There were a large barracuda and grouper in the wheel house. More pics. Did real slow ascent to safety stop then it was Salva Vida time!!

Hasta luego, amigos

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom