Utila Restaurant Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JJJason

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just checking for some tips on good restaurants on Utila. Looking for recent experiences as we go down in a few weeks.

Good steaks? Good seafood? Lobster? Cheap eats? Waterfront views? Really nice place for special anniversary meal? or anything else U enjoyed.

Thanks for any info.

You post made me smile. Not because its funny, but because you'll get to try every restaurant on Utila if you like during a week. Its not a very big place. Here are some of the highlights (understand that the definition of high end is very different there rather than here). Driftwood (owned by some Texas expats) has good steaks, fish, and ribs, and occaisionally brisket. Its built over the water. Kate's is good italian. RJ's is only open three nights a week, but is good for steaks, lobster (if you get there early) and lots of good fish. There is a new mexican place at the main intersection, but i haven't tried it. Bundu cafe has good dinner specials and is a good joint for breakfast. The Mango Inn has some of the best Pizza I've ever eaten, so do hit that. For drinks, the Treetanic is a must do, and I also love the Tranquilla although other prefer CocoLoco. Its a matter of music preference I think. For anniversary, I'd probably hit Kate's its the most traditional romantic. Don't be in a hurry anywhere. Slow service is an understatement at every place there.

Have fun and feel free to ask additional questions.

Yep, that post definetly sums up all your options in Utila. You will likely get to try them all. RJ's is awesome value for a good feed, they have a great bbq thats open Wed and Saturdays if I remember correctly. Treetanic Bar and Restaurant is a must see, the grounds there wil blow your mind! Ah, and dont be afraid to spend a few cents and sample the delicious baliadas the ladies sell at the 4 corners in the evening.

Thanks for the tips.

What about dining at Utopia Village or Laguna Beach resort? Possible? Price range? Worth it?
How do you get there? We're staying in blue bayou.

I am sure that you could arrange to dine at either place. As I understand it, Laguna beach is really just buffett (albeit very good buffet) dining, so may not be worth the trip (as the types of dishes are pretty available in town). I am more than happy to be corrected on this. Utopia is a table service restaurant, the harder issue is how to get there. They are on the south shore about 2.5-3.0 miles from town and the crossing is either via open ocean or via lagoon and then jungle bus. The obvious problem is a night water crossing. I am pretty sure that, weather permitting, they bring their guests into town one night each week, so you may be able to work something out. I'd just call them and ask. I believe Angelika is running their in town office these days. Their website is Utopia Dive Village :: Scuba Skin Diving Utila, Bay Islands :: Honduras

Separately, I'll second the Israeli food place. Great hummus.

Just back from Utila for two weeks. Wanted to thank all for recommendations. A few notes on our experience.

First its very easy to get a good meal, fair amount of choices. Some of our favorites: Driftwood, on the water, great views and service, friendly owners, Fish meals and brisket great, best hamburgers on the island, so big you can even skip the next meal.

Mariposa Cafe: fairly new, on a 2nd floor overlooking the water. good sunset view, happy hours. Best nachos on the island (we tried em all), real salads, good fish and shrimp meals. Friendly staff.

Mango Inn: Nice setting, esp on a cooler night. Food is terrific, esp fish specials, good pizza.

RJ's: when they're open, cool laidback place. Good, cheap and plentiful food.

Evelyn's BBQ: Reggae land, its like a shrine to Bob Marley. Evelyn is cool and fun to talk with. Great kabobs, fish or chicken. Frozen drinks are the best: Monkey Lala is a winner.

Dave's: on the dock at Coco Loco. Really good food, reasonably priced. order off chalkboard whatever he's making that night.

Cay View on Pigeon Key: Fun place for lunch, chicken burgers and plato typico, cheap and filling. Check out the whole island while there.

Bundu's and Munchies: Had some good lunches at both.

Coco Loco: didn't have pizza there, but nice place for drinks and catch the sunset.
Tranquila: good drinks, sunsets. Foosball is fun too, 100 lmps deposit on the ball, don't let it fly off into the water.
Sunset bar east of town: great setting and sunsets. hard to catch open though.
Wooden Spoon: new place on an old dock. Enjoyed sunset and drinks.

Ice cream at Mermaids or another grocery store nearby (can't remember the name) is a great way to top off a meal.

Watched a Futbol game at Fidi's one night on the beach. Nice projector setup and fun to cheer with the locals.

Hope that helps the next victims ;~) Have fun!

Its been a while since my last visit to Utila. Let's put it this way, you will be able to get a decent meal at a reasonable price, in some cases even cheap, but this is hardly the place to go for a gourmet vacation.

Any kind of fresh Carribean fish is gourmet for most of us in the frozen northland.

Back
Top Bottom