Usvi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maxrep99

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Any recommendations for or against diving in USVI (St Croix) in September ? I have a week to play with in Sept in St Croix.
I know it's hurricane season, so I'll get refundable tickets and cancel if necessary.
But - if there are no hurricanes, is diving usually nice in September ? I am expecting to deal with some rain - no big deal.
But is the water usually calm enough ? or usually choppy ?

Thanks

Can't tell you as I was never there then, but a DM told me that was a great time as long as the weather holds. He claimed seas were generally flat and not many tourists around.

I've been there 4 times in September. There was a tropical storm once for a few days then cleared out. The diving was very good, flat seas. You'll have the island to yourself. This is when locals vacation.

Reggie in Midland, NC

Our weather in September is typically very very nice. Flat seas and maybe a bit warmer than usual. That is, of course, if there's not an "H" (we don't say the word) out there. I'm knocking on wood as I say that the forecast is for a pretty tame storm season this year. You'll generally save money by traveling in September so just put some of that saving towards trip insurance and you'll be in great shape.

Waters are typically VERY calm, clear, and warm (~84'F). The west end of the island (Frederiksted) is in the lee of the island (shadow of the wind), to tends to be mostly like a lake with calm waters. Over 40 dive sites within 10-15 minute boat rides, and the Famous Frederiksted Pier is a must (Day and NIGHT) as it is the best place in the entire Caribbean to find seahorses. Turtles are a very common sight and that's nearly the time for turtles to hatch! We also have spectaular wall diving at the Salt River Canyon (underwater).
Check out various companies facebook pages for ideas on what you'll see. Scroll through photos to the dates you'll be there. :)
Cheers and happy diving!

Back
Top Bottom