USVI Op recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LarryHinDC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are thinking of spending a few days diving in the US Virgin Islands in the near future. We would love to hear your recommendations for where to stay and, more importantly, which dive op you recommend.

Thanks.

Rhone Man is correct

I occasionally teach on St. Thomas, but the diving is good on all the islands. It all depends on what kind of vacation you want.
There is the highest class to the simple basic package. 1st pick what kind of hotel you want, then there a great diveshops we can recommend. Not every hotel has a shop, and not every shop is great, but there are some real outstanding ones.

Highlu recommend Chris Sawyer in Red Hook on St. Thomas.

wow, I only just signed up and already found me a real live scubawoman. This is great !!!

I guess I dont have to make any further recommendations...everyone out there...just do what "wreckchick" says...It will go easier for me if you do!!!

Hi Larry,

I've had the pleasure to dive with both Anchor Dive in St. Croix and Low Key in St. John.
Both operations were very relaxed but also very professional and safe.

At Anchor, they return to their dock during the surface interval (the sites they regularly visit are all close by) which opens up the opportunity for doing single tank dives, grabbing a bite at the marina restaurant between dives etc. All the guys there were top notch and a lot of fun (Wiz...manager, Scott...dm/instructor, Sparky...boat captain)

At Low Key, the regular dive sites are all pretty close by so you can do a morning two tank and be back at the shop by 11:30 or so. I did myh AOW with Andy there. Great guy!!!

Please feel free to pm if I can pass on more specific info.

I'll second Mark's comments regarding Anchor Dive Center in St. Croix. I brought along my own computer, mask, fins and camera but everything else was provided by them as part of the standard charter fee (80 cu ft. alum cylinders, weights and belts, Aqualung Titan regs, Mares BCDs, 3mm wetsuits...). Their gear was of good quality and there were no failures during the week I dove with them. Easiest diving I've ever done, anywhere! They take care of everything, all you have to do is step off the swim platform, follow the dive master and enjoy the dive. And they help you up the ladder afterwards. Great folks and the Salt River dive sites are super.
Jim

rhdc_logo.jpg
Tim (Ingersoll), it's a bit belated but wanted to let you know that Chris Sawyer Dive Center that was located in Red Hook at American Yacht Harbor is now Red Hook Diver Center. Late last year Sawyer, closed down and moved to St. John out of Caneel Bay.

The employees and a few friends (and former employees) bought the boat, some of the assets and reopened at Red Hook Diver Center. You'll remember many of the same people from your trip down here. We've also got Nitrox now, nice sized banks with a stick as well.

So if you're back down look us up or give us a call at 340-777-DIVE (3483)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom