USVI Dive Vacation - what do we need to know?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A friend just flew out to St. Croix on the 5th. American out of Indy. I'll report on his experiences when he's back.

Please do. I'm interested in the flight - a few posts back I wrote that, at the time, most American flights were taking 2 days to get to St. Croix from Indy and 1-2 days to return. It looks like as of today, there is only a 1 day layover to get there as well as get back and that Delta is now going, as mentioned in the previous posts, but are taking 1-2 days to arrive and also to return.

Friend just got back yesterday.

“We were the first divers they had, but they are open (Dive Experience/ St. Croix) and highly recommend. All the restaurants are open, with social distancing.”

I’ve asked for details about his flight.

Flight details:

To STX:

“No flight issues- planes mostly full ( no services except in first class) early out indy, short layover Miami ( > 2 hrs) in STX by early afternoon. Easy transportation.”

Back home to IND:

“Home the same as flying out, except depart around 2:30, short layover Miami, home by 10:30. Flights both ways were 85% full.”

Friend flew American. He always does when possible. Has lots of miles as a result.

[QUOTE“We were the first divers they had, but they are open (Dive Experience/ St. Croix) and highly recommend. All the restaurants are open, with social distancing.”][/QUOTE]

We have had good times with Dive Experience/ St. Croix. Saw a lot of reef and aquatic life, made some good video.

This was the first time friend had been to St. Croix. He had actually called me when he and his group of friends were debating where to go, as he knows I’m on SB a lot. I knew St. Croix was open because my Chicago area tech instructor’s parents run Sweet Bottom Dive Center on St. Croix (he was down there for several years as well) and I’d asked him about the situation there. So I suggested St. Croix to my friend and another member of his group made all the arrangements. They wanted boat diving so they went with who they did. Sweet Bottom is more for shore diving.

Thanks for the tip Marie, I will check out Sweet Bottom. I have not done the shore dive at Frederiksted Pier yet. My wife's parents were married in St. Croix and have had a condo there for almost 40 years.

I know I’m late to this thread, but my wife and I recently moved to St. Croix, so more than willing to answer any remaining or new questions.

As others have mentioned, St. Croix is open for business. Dive operators are all open and running daily trips, hotels are open, and restaurants are open both indoors and outside dining. Currently bars are closed. Masks are required at all retails stores and when entering a restaurant.

There are some new travel restrictions here for flights due to COVID. For travel from some states, a recent negative COVID test is required when entering from certain states. Other than that, daily flights from Miami and San Juan and other flights on specific days from Atlanta, Charlotte, etc. The American Miami flight is nice, especially if you can make it to Miami earlier enough in the day to make it. We’ve also stayed overnight in the hotel inside the airport just to make that flight. Flew in to afternoon before and flew out on the am. Also have connected numerous times as well in San Juan. You’ll be taking a much smaller plan to STX if you go that route, but it’s only about 45 minutes and a great view.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

We dove in St Thomas in Feb of 2020. Highly recommend Red Hook Dive Center. Great dive op. The owners and staff are friendly. The boat is nice and newer. Easy access to sites in the gulf, Atlantic or sound, no more than 20 min ride. Relatively shallow diving. The marina they are located in had some good restaurants. As a bonus, that is also where the ferry is to go to other USVI/BVI. Stayed in bolongo bay, 10 min drive to the dive op.

@mwall04 there is something very weird going on with flights to St. Croix. I searched Google flights and it will not even show St. Croix as an option to fly into, see screenshot. AA was the same, just kept saying no airport. Thoughts?
Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 11.32.36 AM.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom