USS Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EL Pistoffo

Contributor
Reaction score
Did our first Spiegel Grove dive over the weekend. Very impressive ship. Was also the first use of my LX7 setup. Still trying to get the WB right. The colors were way off. Did what I could in post to improve them. Now if I could only keep the camera still.

[video=youtube_share;DxSB4tjJtMQ]http://youtu.be/DxSB4tjJtMQ[/video]

Last edited:
Nice video. Colors look ok to me. You must have one a good job in post.

Even with manual WB, I found colors to be off unless I also use filter.

Nice video. Colors look ok to me. You must have one a good job in post.

Even with manual WB, I found colors to be off unless I also use filter.

Thx. The raw video was pretty darn blue. I had to push the reds quite a bit. Anymore and it started to bleed into the blacks. Gotta find a trick to better WB if that's possible, anything to help so post isn't as difficult.

---------- Post added May 24th, 2014 at 10:17 AM ----------

I'm re-doing the color grading with a different method in post. Eliminating more of the blue. I will post it when ready to get some opinions on if it looks better.

---------- Post added May 24th, 2014 at 05:29 PM ----------

Posting version with alternate color correction. I was able to inject more red spectrum without it saturating the blacks. Objects closer to camera seem to have better color. The farther stuff like the sea in background seems a bit weird.
Better or worse?

[video=youtube_share;XmN2cLnwIk8]http://youtu.be/XmN2cLnwIk8[/video]

I achieved good colours with my LX7 with my hand, sand or a buddy tank. Generally you need to make sure that the exposure is correct before you do it.
Sometimes the colour will be mildly off but I would correct manually the tint and it would be OK
I would not recommend a filter before the wetmate because of reflections. I would suggest the Inon UWL-H100 with push on if you really want to try a filter with this camera or a filter directly in the housing on the lens

I achieved good colours with my LX7 with my hand, sand or a buddy tank. Generally you need to make sure that the exposure is correct before you do it.
Sometimes the colour will be mildly off but I would correct manually the tint and it would be OK
I would not recommend a filter before the wetmate because of reflections. I would suggest the Inon UWL-H100 with push on if you really want to try a filter with this camera or a filter directly in the housing on the lens
I ordered a filter from Aditech, Mangrove CF-M67 to try in between the Wetmate and port. I'm going to give it a try. If the reflections are too problematic, well it won't break the bank. I thought about using one inside the port. It would be cheap but I'd be stuck with it for the whole dive. Not sure if manual WB can handle both filter and lights, if so then that might be the way to go. There is also the question of macro with in port filter.

I tried every which way to WB. It was usually semi-decent enough when diving below 40 ft to correct in post. There was one instance where I got near perfect manual WB on one clip though I can't remember how. I only noticed it later during playback at home. Unfortunately, its next to impossible to tell how the WB looks by the display.

Would the I-Dynamic setting help with the overblown exposures I see sometimes?

I still have to get more practice and comfortable with the LX7 UW.

Last edited:
Good looking video! The current looks pretty mild.
Yeah, the current depth was a non-issue. Now the topside was another story. I should have gotten some video of the boat rocking from the surface. It looked surreal sometimes as to how violent it was.

Back
Top Bottom