USN diver tanks, big about 80 or 90 cu. ft. with a welded plug in the bottom.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These tanks had two PSI ratings:
3000 psi G ( spun )
5000 psi G ( spun ).

The question is did US Divers make a valve to hold 5000 psi ?
If so how do you identify it ?

William
dead dog :confused:

These tanks had two PSI ratings:
3000 psi G ( spun )
5000 psi G ( spun ).

The question is did US Divers make a valve to hold 5000 psi ?
If so how do you identify it ?

William
dead dog :confused:

The 5000 psi is the hydro test pressure not a pressure that was used while diving. I one of the picture I posted notice it says test before the 5000. The threads in the aluminum tank is the weakest point, any normal valve would probably handle 5000 psi, the problem would be the yoke connection on the regulator. That is why HP tanks use the DIN connector to attach the regulator

---------- Post added May 24th, 2014 at 01:16 PM ----------

In regards to the plug being welded during the manufacturing process, I see no indication of that internally or externally on my two tanks. My guess is the plug was installed with a sealant or epoxy compound.

The 5000 psi is the hydro test pressure not a pressure that was used while diving. I one of the picture I posted notice it says test before the 5000. The threads in the aluminum tank is the weakest point, any normal valve would probably handle 5000 psi, the problem would be the yoke connection on the regulator. That is why HP tanks use the DIN connector to attach the regulator

---------- Post added May 24th, 2014 at 01:16 PM ----------

In regards to the plug being welded during the manufacturing process, I see no indication of that internally or externally on my two tanks. My guess is the plug was installed with a sealant or epoxy compound.

I never said the welding was done during the manufacturing process. A fellow student did this on his own and they ( tanks ) lasted many years after that.

Bill

---------- Post added May 27th, 2014 at 04:50 PM ----------

When I started diving pressure gauges went up to 2500 psi's and tanks were 1800 to 2150 psi's. A few years later gauges were set at 3000 psi's top end and tanks were 2250 psi's. Now I see gauges going at 6000 psi's top end. Does this mean tanks will be at 5500 psi's ?

Bill:confused:

There are a few 4500 psi composite tanks being made. In the past AGA Divator and maybe a few others made 4500 psi steel tanks hence the need for 5000 psi SPG's. There were not a lot of shops capable of filling to 4000 psi so they never became popular.

Luis in his post suggested they may have been welded during manufacturing.

I know these tanks are no good for diving.
I need then for a display I'm setting up.
Will pay a fair price for two of them.
Send an IM if you have some for sell with dimensions,

Thank you

dead dog

Still looking for these tank at reasonable price, Not needed for diving,

Thank you,

Bill
dead dog

Bill

Harry had a bunch which he used to stock an early resort in Belize. Hurricane Diana came along in August 1960 and destroyed the resort.

We use to purchase then from Industrial Analysis on the corner of Chapman and Harbor or Euclid in Fullerton . I suspect the company is long gone and if they are still in business certainly will not have any 50-60 year old tanks.

Good luck with your search

SAM

About several years ago someone from Cali had two, new in the box on ebay.

Bill

Harry had a bunch which he used to stock an early resort in Belize. Hurricane Diana came along in August 1960 and destroyed the resort.

We use to purchase then from Industrial Analysis on the corner of Chapman and Harbor or Euclid in Fullerton . I suspect the company is long gone and if they are still in business certainly will not have any 50-60 year old tanks.

Good luck with your search

SAM

Is this Harry Vitter ? If it is he used these kind of tanks in his classes at the Aquatic Center in Santa Ana, So Cal.
This is where a student of his got the tanks to weld the bottom plug.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom