Using Wireless pressure transmission w/rental equip.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrose

Reaction score
I am planning to purchase a Suunto Vytek computer. The issue is that I am a recreational diver that always rents equipment. Does anyone know if most dive shops would let me attach the wireless pressure transmitter the their equipment?

Save your money
Buy the computer and forget wireless transmitter, for the cost of the transmitter you can afford to purchase yourself a set of Regs, when you have saved up again buy the transmitter separately.

Sydney_Diver once bubbled...
Save your money
Buy the computer and forget wireless transmitter, for the cost of the transmitter you can afford to purchase yourself a set of Regs, when you have saved up again buy the transmitter separately.
I fully agree with Sydney Diver. Without the transmitter, the Vytec still works as a non-AI wrist computer.

If you do go ahead with the Vytec purchase before gettng regs, just bring along the allen wrench that fits the HP port, and a tiny wrench to fit the flats of the rental SPG. It takes just seconds to pop off the plug of a 2nd HP port and to screw in the transmitter. If there is just one port, then it takes a bit longer to remove and safely store the rental SPG, but still just seconds.

As the old saying goes "It is easier to be forgiven than to it is to get permission".

I agree with Sydney...

IMHO, if you want to prioritize purchases, buy your most vital piece of life support equipment first, your reg. You can always rent a computer when you dive, or buy the Vytek with your reg and get the transmitter later on.

BTW, I just bought a Vytek with transmitter and I think I have a lemon. I get occasional erroneous pressure readings (way off!).

Ron

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I think I will by the Vytek and save the wireless transmitter for later. I agree that buying a reg is important but all of my diving is done as part of larger trips where I am traveling with a very small backpack and can’t really carry a regulator. If it wasn’t for the fact that on several occasions I have had to dive without a depth gauge (the dive master had one) I wouldn’t even be willing to carry the computer. If I find that installing the transmitter is not a problem I may purchase it later.

Thanks again.

I'm thinking of getting a Vytec as well... I was initially gonna get the Air Z or the Air Z Nitrox...well, cuz Uwatecs just look really good! :p hahahaha I know I know.... but I checked, they're pretty conservative, which I like... and I don't intend to do deco dives anyway... and Uwatecs have a pretty good reputation as well... I've been wanting one since the Air X days...but I didn't like those since they didn't have a backlight.

Anyway, I'm really after the hoseless feature and will probably just save up for it all (reg w/ computer & transmitter) ... I intend to do a 2 hose setup... BC w/ Air 2, and primary reg. That's all...

I know a lot of you think that's nuts.. but I don't intend to dive alone... deco dive... or dive with inexperienced divers. I dove a lot of my first dives with all rentals... and even with that, I never had a problem that would deter me from a streamlined setup

I will test the equipment in shallow waters first with my dive instructor... if it all checks out... then I stick with the rig. :)

After diving with 4 different hoseless air-integrated computers over the past 5 years, I have but one piece of advice:

Do not depend solely on a signal for your tank pressure readings.

I have had occasional signal failures, and momentary erroneous pressure readings with gear that tested perfectly initially.

I have had to borrow a console on 2 separate dive trips because for unknown reasons, I could not get my computer to link with the transmitter at the start of the dive.

On my last trip (3 weeks ago), I could never imagine having a problem, as I was sporting a brand new extremely reliable hoseless Vytek. One of the staff on the boat insisted that I throw a console on my free HP port for reasons of safety. I reluctantly agreed and during that week, had ridiculously false pressure readings twice. It's nice to know how much air you really have in your tank when you're at depth. It reduces stress levels considerably.

By the way, I am also a recreational, buddy, no-deco diver and I would no longer be without my new analog SPG plugged into my first stage to supplement my hoseless computer.

Dive safe.

Ron

Roncone once bubbled...
By the way, I am also a recreational, buddy, no-deco diver and I would no longer be without my new analog SPG plugged into my first stage to supplement my hoseless computer.
Once you added back in the SPG, is there any advantage to having an AI computer?

If you were to do it over, would you bother purchasing the transmitter unit for the Vytek?

I'll tell you in a week or 2. My Vytek is in the shop getting evaluated!

Having said that, I enjoy the convenience of glancing at my wrist for my pressure. The SPG I have is not a full console, just a small OMS gauge that I have clipped to a D-ring in case I need to check it. It's out of the way and doesn't feel like a full console does.

I have spoken to several who have Vyteks with transmitters and nobody has experienced what I have, but it's always possible.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom