Using the GoPro Hero 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You don't need a new camera, just a new housing that corrects the blur problem.

Granted I did not look into a new housing and maybe should. I was just thinking if I was spending $170.00 for a new housing then 40 dollars on filters plus shipping I am into it for the 250 range. For 150ish more I can get the new tec in the Hero 4. If I was able to get the dive housing for less, I would definitely consider this route as well.

Do you know what firmware is installed on your hero 2?

Not sure however it would likely be the original firmware as I did not even know you could update it!! I'll look into updating it though.

Also, what features are you using (i.e. protune, resolution, etc.)

Not sure what you mean by Protune but the resolution I am currently on is the 1080 30 FPS as that is the only setting I can find. I tried 720 at 60 but the video was very grainy. I also tried WVGA 60 and wide angle. So far the best setting seems to be the 1080 30 FPS on either wide or normal view.

Finally, what SD card are you using?

My SD card is a Patriot LX series 32 Class 10 SD/HC

These are all issues which can cause the performance issues you mentioned. (Your PC and/or viewing program could be the problem too.)

As for viewing, I am using and have always used VLC. Granted I just switched from a PC (core i5) to a mid 2009 MacBook Pro with 8 Gb of Ram and a 1TB Samsung SSD. In hindsight, the performance issues may have been attributed to the fact I was trying to view the footage directly from the SD card as apposed to moving to the first. Unfortunately, I trashed the footage in frustration and can't access it now.

What editing software do you guys generally use? I've never used anything and so far plan on just using iMovie unless there is something else better.

Protune was introduced several years ago for color adjustments using GoPro's Ciniform Studio software. If it's on, and you're not using their software the color will appear poor. It may also affect the amount of data being saved, which can affect how it is transferred to the SD card. You should be able to step through the settings on your camera and, if it's there at all, disable it. I believe it was introduced with firmware v198.

There may be a text file on your SD card that, rather cryptically, identifies the firmware being used. I used V124, because it was the last version that safely supported 3D. V198 and V222 were disasters but the latest, V3xx (don't recall the exact number) seems to be ok from reports I've read.

My apologies if this is inappropriate, but you may find the gopro user forum useful for learning about the Hero2:

GoPro Forum

There are discussions of firmwares, SD cards, etc.

I use Sony Vegas, FWIW.

Oh, and a quick google suggests the going rate for a blur fix housing is ~$70. Here's an example from the folks I bought my 3D housing from:

Eye Of Mine Professional Flat Lens Housing for GoPro HD Hero2

My apologies if this is inappropriate, but you may find the gopro user forum useful for learning about the Hero2:

Absolutely not, I appreciate what you guys are doing big time!! I've managed to learn more in the last 24 hours than I have in years about the GoPro and underwater photography. I appreciate any information you are willing to offer!!!!

Ok, so given the fact that I can get a flat lens housing for my GoPro for 70.00ish, is upgrading the camera to the Hero 4 when comparing features only worth it or can I get great video with the 2?

Last edited:
You could still use the HERO2, it's still a great camera. I have one and the video quality is superb - I try not to make electronics "disposable" as the companies want us to do, got a used HERO3 for a bargain from someone that needed desperately to upgrade to a HERO3+ after owning the previous model for a couple months.

But since you are going to invest on the new dive housing (either $169 or $70), adding some more money could get you a newer generation camera, with better resolutions, better low light quality, smaller, lighter, with more options for filters (a 55m threaded filter for the Blurfix housing is another $80), built-in WiFi and a built-in LCD display that would cost another $80 alone (included on the HERO4 Silver).

Now I am really on the fence!! I definitely love the idea of the updated technology and features like WIFI would be a huge asset at the track as I could pair it with my phone and see whats on it instead of having to remove the card but now we are talking 250-300 dollars.....that's another dive!!!

OK, thanks for the assistance everyone has provided so far, it's been very informative.....especially Toozler!!! In the end, I went with a new GoPro Hero 3+ Black edition. I found it at our local Costco for 359.99 all in. It included all the usual stuff (camera and case), 7 mounts, 2 batteries with a dual charger and a WIFI remote. When I looked at replacing the housing for my 2, adding WIFI and a remote, dual batteries, etc I was actually almost at par with a new camera!!

No, the only issue I have is that my laptop freezes when playing the video shot in anything above 1080 30 FPS!!! I'm trying to figure out how to break it to the wife I now need a new MacBook Pro!!! :)

Now, onto filters.....

Is there one that is recommended or are they all basically the same? Reason I am asking is that some seem to be a deeper red than others.

Thanks again!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom