Using the GoPro Hero 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PepperDM

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
First off let me say I apologize if there has been 101 threads about this already however my search function is either not working properly or there are not any on here about using the Hero 2 as I can't find anything.....

As stated above, I have a GoPro Hero 2 and would very much like to use it on my trips planned this summer. I've never been able to catch any type of great pictures while diving for a multitude of reasons....mostly because I am illiterate (point and shoot kind of guy) when it comes to photography and the equipment I had likely left a lot to be desired quality wise. Up until the GoPro, the most expensive underwater camera I had was 100.00 and still used film!!!

The first will be to Cuba (snorkeling) in March, then Hawaii (diving) in August followed by Costa Rica (diving) in September. While I am looking to get spectacular clear video (for a guy who will post it to YouTube for friends and family to see) I am not wanting to invest hundreds in lights, housings, filters etc. I completely understand I may be limiting the potential of the camera but I just don't use it that often. Again, I am not going to sell this video to National Geographic it is only for me personally to look back on when it is -45 below zero and snowing where I live so please try to understand what I mean by spectacularly clear video.

When I tried my camera for the first time attached to my racing bike on the track I was amazed at the clarity of the video (even at just over 200 KMPH) and was SUPER excited about the possibility of using it more. I then took it to our lake cabin and was met with depressing mixed results but am unsure as to why. I may have changed a setting inadvertently but am unsure as I don't know what they should be. One video of us swimming/jumping off the boat with a pole cam was very clear and I was really happy. The next day was shot with a head mount on my Seadoo....it was very grainy/full of artifact and did not play right. It was choppy and the video kept freezing for 1/100th of a second (not totally true time, just stated for effect) then would play again. My questions are as follows.....

1. For someone who knows NOTHING about photography, what settings should I be using to get the best overall results?
2. What mounts does everyone recommend using while diving?

Thanks for all the help, if anyone has any questions please let me know.

Cheers,
Dean

Unless the housing you have for the HERO2 looks like the picture below, you will be very disapointed with the results.

gopro-dive-housing.jpg

The standard housing (like this one) will not focus underwater. The footage is unusable. That's a serious flaw for a camera that was advertised as 197' water proof, huh?

You can buy the "Dive Housing" for the HERO2 on Amazon for $169. There used to be a few aftermarket options ("blurfix" was one of them), but they might not be around anymore.

Nope, it's the standard one. Why will the housing not work? Not trying to be rude, I just don't understand....when swimming at the lake the video seemed quite clear when I jumped off the boat then swam to the surface.

What housing is pictured first? Am I better off just buying a new GoPro or is it a housing specific issue?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!!!

The picture on my post is the "GoPro Dive Housing".

It was release by GoPro to address the issue of the standard housing not focusing underwater. It's not a camera issue, it's a housing issue, the HERO2 with the "Dive Housing" does a great job.

It used to cost around $50 when it was released, I got one myself. Now it has been discontinued, thus the high prices charged by whoever has them in stock.

Here are some videos with the HERO2 ( YouTube ) and some make a side by side comparison between the standard and the dive housing. This one here was shot with the standard housing, see if it's acceptable to you.

Upgrading to a HERO3 (or 3+/4) might be an option considering the price of the housing for your HERO2. Besides the better video quality, there are more filters for them - and those are a must.

---------- Post added February 17th, 2015 at 11:20 PM ----------

The HERO2 will not fit inside the HERO3/3+/4 housings, these newer models are much smaller.

Thanks for the video links, that made it really clear!!! I definitely want better video than that for sure!!! If I get the 3+ or 4 would I still need an underwater housing or would the standard one work? Would I need anything outside of what is already included in the standard package? Which one (model specific) would you recommend for both underwater and land activities like dirtbike, my track motorcycle etc.

Also, would I be able to chain both Hero 2 and the Hero 4 together in the future to film 3D? Just trying to come up with as many justifications for the extra cost. The WIFI capability would be a big one!!!

All the HERO3 (and newer models) have flat ports as standard and will focus underwater, so whatever you buy will be waterproof to 40 meters and ready to be used to dive. There is an optional "dive housing" which adds another 20 meters to that. You can check about them here: HERO3+ Waterproof Housing Depth Rating

Besides what comes in the package, you will basically need a red filter, anti fog inserts, something to secure the camera to your BCD and something to hold the camera with (a tray is the best option). Have a look at the other posts for recommendations. I personally use and have recommended stuff from here (for the first 3 items on the list). A good tray is made by SRP, you can find it here or DIY one.

Whatever you get should also be fine for other uses too.

As of using two different models for 3D, I'd think it's a no-no. The footage will be different, they probably won't sync and won't fit on the 3D housing. Sorry but that HERO2 is not getting in the water :(

OK, so Ive done a little research and now understand the value of a red filter!!! That being said, can it be used for all types of water/light conditions or are there other colors required for other areas, water or weather? While I am going to Cuba, Hawaii and Costa Rica I would like to be ready for any type of water I may experience....depending on cost.

As for the actual camera....It's clear I need a new one for what I would like to do and by the time I buy a new dive housing and filters I would likely be better off updating the tech as well for an extra few hundred dollars.

So, my next question would be....which one would you recommend? The 3, 3+ or the 4. Once we establish that, which model Black, Silver etc. I don't mind paying but also don't was to spend money on something that is not needed

Not sure about current price differences between the 3+ and 4, but for the average user, the HERO4 "Silver" model is a good choice, even comes with an LCD display (previously sold separately for $80). The "Black" model has a couple extra features and higher resolutions that unless you have a 4K resolution TV; is really into high quality video production and has a powerful computer to process the ultra high res footage, you won't be using much.

For most water conditions, a red filter does the job as it will handle blue and slightly green water. If you dive in lakes or cold water that looks very green, then a magenta filter is more effective in blocking the green.

You don't need a new camera, just a new housing that corrects the blur problem.

Do you know what firmware is installed on your hero 2? Also, what features are you using (i.e. protune, resolution, etc.) Finally, what SD card are you using? These are all issues which can cause the performance issues you mentioned. (Your PC and/or viewing program could be the problem too.)

You don't need a new camera, just a new housing that corrects the blur problem.

That was my first suggestion, but the price of the dive housing for the HERO2 is now $169... For $30 more you can get a lower-end HERO3 "White" and for a $100 more a HERO3+ "Silver".

Couldn't find any of the 3rd party flat port housings for sale anymore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom