Using Sea&Sea lenses with PT-015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well you've got the right camera for it with the built in macro and supermacro but it's going to have to be someone else who helps out with the issue of macro lenses. I know Gilligan is experimenting with some diopters and others have really good macro shots.
Good luck
TEdJ

I'm just starting to really look at the macro lenses myself. From what I've found out they are not the easiest to learn to use and take lots of practice. The depth of field is so very short, it's hard to find that 'sweet spot'. It was explained to me this way...."it's like the old Nikonos or MMII macro lenses that had the framers attached in front. The framer let you know the distance and plane where the perfect focus range was. With the Inon macro lens, it's the same thing just without the framer. You have to practice enough to know where that perfect distance is."

If you aren't the kind of person to stay in one place for 10-15 min, taking multiple shots and waiting for the little shy creatures to get used to you so you can get close enough (i.e. neon gobies) then you probably won't have the patience to use a macro to get those gorgeous microscopic close-ups we all want.

Dee:
If you aren't the kind of person to stay in one place for 10-15 min, taking multiple shots and waiting for the little shy creatures to get used to you so you can get close enough (i.e. neon gobies) then you probably won't have the patience to use a macro to get those gorgeous microscopic close-ups we all want.

I'm the kind of person that would wait hours (air supply permitting)....just my buddy isn't, as he is usually working when we dive.

Not that I wouldn't mind the WAL. A strobe would be needed for that, right?
I did try working with Rogers strobe (S & S Yellow Sub) once, but just haven't gotten the knack of it yet (I know, once isn't enough). Any tips?

justleesa:
I'm the kind of person that would wait hours (air supply permitting)....just my buddy isn't, as he is usually working when we dive.

Not that I wouldn't mind the WAL. A strobe would be needed for that, right?
I did try working with Rogers strobe (S & S Yellow Sub) once, but just haven't gotten the knack of it yet (I know, once isn't enough). Any tips?

I'm lucky, for years Beast would hang patiently while I waited on some creature to appear. About 3 years ago he started snapping a pic or two with my old MX-10 while he carried it as backup to the MMII. Good Sherpa! When I got the digital, he started using it even more more was really jealous of the digital advantages. I had the chance to get him a 3040/pt-10 before our last trip and he was in hog heaven. One of the reasons that pushed me to the C-5050 was him getting the old 4040. We have totally different shooting 'styles' but he's doing a great job.

Sorry...off the topic. Before Beast stated shooting himself, one reason I started diving solo was to take pictures without worrying about someone waiting on me. (Before everyone screams and it starts the old debate, I don't take soloing lightly and I take all kinds of precautions and only under controlled conditions.) When we're at CCV, I love laying in the warn 4ft water and waiting on the Sailfin Blennies!

If you use the wide angle for reef shots and anything outside the strobe's range, you won't need a strobe. But for close up wide angle shots, you would. With no strobe you're better off concentrating on macro shots and anything within 3ft.

Back
Top Bottom