Using Sea&Sea lenses with PT-015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver69

Contributor
Reaction score
So, I've decided to get an Oly C-5050 and PY-015 housing. I remember reading a while back that you can get an adapter to use the housing with Sea & Sea lenses.

Can someone tell me what adaptor I need and where I can find it? I have Sea & Sea WAL (16mm and 20mm) and the 2T macro with the framer.

Please advise what adaptor I need and where to find it.

Thanks.

Will post pics taken with my Sea&Sea MMII Ex shortly. Have to scan the slides/prints first.

If you're talking about the MMII WAL then I think you're out of luck. There's no adaptor for it. You have to get a WAL that has a 67mm thread. Sea and Sea, Inon, UN (Olympus) and Epoque all make one.

A couple of years ago when I switched from my MMII, I tried to find that same adapter. They were scarce even then. Your best bet is to sell your lenses to fund the purchase of new ones! I know that's not what you wanted yo hear but we're asked that same question from everyone who had a MMII.

I'm keeping my MMII, therefore, I don't want to sell my lenses.

Dee, so, there is such an adaptor out there somewhere? Do you know what it's called , and do you have a pic of it?

May be after I'm comfortable with the Oly, I'll end up selling my Sea&Sea as a package. In the meantime, I guess I'll keep my Sea&Sea and use the Oly by itself until I can afford to get lenses for it.

Thx

diver69,
I remember at least 4-6 months ago that someone had discovered the parts, had communicated with Sea & Sea (before they abandoned the US market) and had scoured eBay for weeks looking for them. He said, if I remeber correctly, that there were few if any to be had and he thought he had gotten the last ones from any official source. I hate to say it but I think you're going to have to manually go back through a lot of posts to try and find what you're looking for or else really give the Google a hard shake.

I remember at least 4-6 months ago that someone had discovered the parts, had communicated with Sea & Sea ...
I think the adaptor you're referring to is for the Canon WP-DC300 housing. There is a limited re-make of that - see Yuzo's website below.

There is a Sea and Sea (Bayonet type) to 67mm threaded adapter but it is a M67 Macro Lens adapter - you can probably use this to attach the MM II WAL to the PT-015 but you will need to zoom in to get rid of the vignetting thus negating the benefit of the WAL. YMMV.

Both these are available from Yuzo website: http://www.uwdigitalcamera.com/English/euwdigitalindex.htm >> Add on Lens >> Bayonet mounted lenses

I was going to recommebd Yuzo, too. To answer your question... no, I don't remember the particulars about the adapter. It wasn't available for very long, at least no one has been able to find hind nor hair of it anywhere. Yuzo in Japan will be your best bet.

It's been proven that the MMII lenses aren't the best for use with digital, or at least with the PT housing. Like ReyeR said, the vignetting is pretty bad so by the time you zoom in to compensate for it, you've negated the advantage of the WA altogether. I've heard the 16mm is worse than the 20mm.

I understand you not wanting to sell your lenses, most especially if you plan to keep your MMII. I was lucky and had the chance to sell my whole MMII system for more than I paid for it. Let me tell ya, it was scarey to ship it off without a replacement! I used the proceeds to upgrade to digital. But I still think you'll be happier with the results of a WA lens suited to the digital systems.

Thx all. I think I'll get my Oly c-5050 and pt-015 and keep my S&S set-up for now. Eventually, when I'm comfortable with the Oly and digital, I will start buying more stuff for it.

What lenses would you reccomend for starters?
Lisa

The INON WAL. Then down the road you could add the dome to it which increases the "wideness" considerably. Others will say macro lenses about which I know nothing. Just depends on your point of view. Are you a big picture person or a detail person?
TedJ

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom