Using Lights and/or filter with GoPro 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking at using my new GoPro 3 during my next dive vacation to tropical waters. I have two 1000 Lumen 7000K dive lamps, which I was going to use. Since they are cooler lamps, should I also go with a filter?... Or should I use filter with no lamps?... Or lamps alone? Any advice anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Darrell

I have used a red filter with a light and the results were not good. In the day under bright conditions, your light will only provide illumination at a distance of a few feet. If you have a filter on, then the object being illuminated will be too red.

this entire video was shot with the lights on and the filter in place. I think you will want to remove the external filter when you are using lights. Also, having the lights on when shooting a subject that is too far away to be illuminated, only serves to light up particulates in the water, making unnecessary backscatter. This video was an experiment to test the combined use.

4-14-13 Scuba & Spearing & Bull Sharks - YouTube

[video=youtube_share;RGu2B0-VFMo]http://youtu.be/RGu2B0-VFMo[/video]

I have used a red filter with a light and the results were not good. In the day under bright conditions, your light will only provide illumination at a distance of a few feet. If you have a filter on, then the object being illuminated will be too red.

this entire video was shot with the lights on and the filter in place. I think you will want to remove the external filter when you are using lights. Also, having the lights on when shooting a subject that is too far away to be illuminated, only serves to light up particulates in the water, making unnecessary backscatter. This video was an experiment to test the combined use.

4-14-13 Scuba & Spearing & Bull Sharks - YouTube

[video=youtube_share;RGu2B0-VFMo]http://youtu.be/RGu2B0-VFMo[/video]
There was a brief moment when your lights came into frame. Where those Archon D11Vs? I'm looking into trying those out.

Yep, lights and red filter don't mix. Would require more correction in post.

I wouldn't be spearing anything around those sharks either.

Not sure what the lights are called.

If you find let me know. I'd be interested in knowing how they perform if they are the lights I'm talking about: 015133_show2.jpg015133_show7.jpg

Oh and this is what could have happened if you decided to spearfish around those bulls: Bull Sharks Attack - YouTube

you should try just the gopro and filter
2.7k, 30fps, protune, camraw
if you are diving clear blue water up to 90 feet you might be surprised

Why is the rum always gone

Thank you for the comments. I have been looking at both the Polar Pro Filter and the Backscatter Flip 3. The Backscatter documentation suggests you can use with or without lights with the same results. Has anyone tried using it with and without?

Thank you for the comments. I have been looking at both the Polar Pro Filter and the Backscatter Flip 3. The Backscatter documentation suggests you can use with or without lights with the same results. Has anyone tried using it with and without?
I can't see how using them with lights will give you the same results. You would be introducing white light back onto the image rather than just the mostly blue, green light which is lacking the red that the filter "adds" for a lack of a better word.
It has been demonstrated by many that using lights with a red filter will give you an image that is more saturated in red than normal IF that light is being reflected off a nearby surface, sometimes even debris in the water. Same as using the red filter in very shallow water or above the surface.

I have tried filming three different ways in Indonesia two weeks ago. 1. using just the filter 2. lights and filter 3. Lights only and no filter

IMO, the best way is to leave the filter on all the time (provided you are at least 15ft depth) and only turn on the light if you are recording stuff in nooks and crannies. Even if you can see the hiding subject with natural light with your own eyes, the light sensor on the gopro will not pick it up. Nurse shark resting under a ledge = black blob with a fin sticking out.

I am able to deal with the “red” tint of objects illuminated by the light and filter. Constantly removing and replacing the filter is too much work.

Like others have said, during the day, the lights only come into play when you are a few feet from the subject.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom