Using AI with surface supplied "hookah" systems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

high_order1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I really think that computer-assisted diving is the smart move. I don't think it is a complete replacement for understanding dive physics and common sense, but if you are not being a tourist (ie scrubbing hulls or the like), having a meter keep a weather eye on your status is smart.

My impression of the AI systems, especially ones that do heart rate monitoring, is that they can do calculations based on the pressure drop of the tank.

Surface-supplied low pressure air (obviously) isn't the same pressures the typical AI systems are looking for. I suspect if you plumbed a transmitter into such a system, it would panic thinking you are completely out of air.

Said all that to say this: I can't find where anyone cares enough to put a gauge on a hookah system. I think having the air integrated into the dive computer might be smart if you were going to be at say ten feet for several hours over several days. I think I understand how to put a manual gauge at the divers' end on such a setup, but has someone already figured out how to do this with an air integrated wrist mount computer?

(understand that this is more of a notional concept rather than something I intend to implement immediately)

Interestimg concept. The enabling tech all exists, but you would need to integrate it and write the software.

Basically AI is really just an underwater communication protocol. The sender unit measures a value (tank pressure) and transmits that data to a reciever (dive computer) that displays it. The same protocol could be used for other measurements.

Thank you. I was reading a guide book the United Nations put out on safe hookah diving, and looking at dive computers. One computer says it can handle ten transmitters in real time, and you can switch tanks and it just knows, probably by the pressure drop.

So, I thought, I've read on here almost all of you use at least one digital computer, some more. What's available for the hookah guys? I recognize they generally don't go deep. But reading that UN booklet, some people are down shallow for a long, long time harvesting or cleaning weeds or doing other things. It all seems like a math problem, and perhaps if it is your job ten hours a day 6 days a week, that low pressure of depth coupled with double digit exposure times...

That book talks about getting bent (if you have joint aches...). So, seems like there is a need.

I suspect you are correct, in that it would require a firmware correction. 'low pressure mode? Y/N'

I simply wondered if someone had already tested this past saying, well, if you can't breathe, there's no air left (which isn't the point). Or that the computer would just make assumptions without having gauge pressure available (infinite dive time remaining at this depth). Don't know what I don't know, and didn't see an answer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom