Using a sidemount harness in a backmount configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cruisediver69

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I currently dive a BP\W. I am head heavy and use tank weights\tail weights for trim. For singe tank, wet diving I normally dive a custom long BP that I built out of Kydex. For drysuit diving I am currently using a standard SS backplate but find the weight spread over my upper back is not helpful. I need it much lower, say around my hips.

I have recently seen the new harnesses made for sidemount divers and am thinking that one of these combined with my standard wing may be the answer. Has anyone tried using a harness directly connected to a wing in backmount config? If so, did you run into any issues or is it as straight forward as it seems?

I use a UTD delta wing and SS backplate rigged for sidemount. Very simple and straight forward. What kind of tank are you using? I'm drysuit as well but use steel 120s. Your wing may not be able to be rigged for sidemount, what type is it?

Either a single AL80 or doubled AL80s depending upon environment.

I don't currently have a sidemount harness or dive sidemount. I am thinking about buying a harness and then modifying it to work for backmount. I'm trying to figure out whether this will work since the weight of a backplate is located in the wrong place for me and thus I want to get rid of it all together.

I know this doesn't pertain to the harness, but Head Heavy & Need Weight Lower for Drysuit, without seeing you in the water it sounds like you have floaty fins. So what fins do you use? I am a big proponent of BP&W's and have yet to see them not work for someone, usually it is something that the diver is doing/not doing that is the issue.

Last edited:
I know this doesn't pertain to the harness, but Head Heavy & Need Weight Lower for Drysuit, without seeing you in the water it sounds like you have floaty fins. So what fins do you use? I am a big proponent of BP&W's and have yet to see them not work for someone, usually it is something that the diver is doing/not doing that is the issue.

I have tech fins (negative) that I use when diving dry.

I am a big fan of tuning my gear to fit me rather than the other way around. Since the Kydex BP doesn't seem to have much function right now I am trying to figure out whether it can be removed with no impact. I was hoping someone has already tried this so I could leverage their lessons learned.

I am looking into something similar - would require some work but have seen pics of backplate being modified - will complete research and get back.

Al 80's tend to get butt light as they drain down. My 80 that I sling as a stage is that way to a degree full. Main reason I only dive steel tanks unless I absolutely can't get them. Both sets of my doubles are steel and the only singles I like to use are my lp95's. Trim out much better than an al 80. One thing I do when I have to use an 80 is mount the wing a little higher and drop the tank a hair in the bands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom